Scots Pine #36

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Is the foilage typically that sparse or have you done some serious pruning to arrive at that look/style ?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is the foilage typically that sparse or have you done some serious pruning to arrive at that look/style ?

The foliage is even more sparse in their habitat. This is as dense as i ever want it. It would be a big mistake to create broccoli branches. Attached find a few pictures that i made last weekend in Sweden at the natural habitat of Scots pine south of the Arctic Circle.

TSB_1257w.jpgTSB_1258w.jpgTSB_1260w.jpgTSB_1261w.jpgTSB_1262w.jpgTSB_1263w.jpgTSB_1265w.jpgTSB_1266w.jpgTSB_1267w.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't feel so bad about the weeds in my pots now.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't feel so bad about the weeds in my pots now.
This was pretty much my first thought too. Am i missing someone or wouldnt the weeds be stealing water and nutrients from the soil, slowing the trees growth?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This was pretty much my first thought too. Am i missing someone or wouldnt the weeds be stealing water and nutrients from the soil, slowing the trees growth?
You could make that argument and in some case it might even be an issue but; sometimes weeds help in developmet.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You could make that argument and in some case it might even be an issue but; sometimes weeds help in developmet.
Sometimes a little competition can enhance the growing quality of a tree. Sometimes the weeds and the act of removing them can expose the true nature of a tree.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read once that some old Japanese guy waited until the weeds in the pots of his trees started to wilt before watering.
Kind of like a living water gauge I guess.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I read once that some old Japanese guy waited until the weeds in the pots of his trees started to wilt before watering.
Kind of like a living water gauge I guess.
IDK makes me think the top would dry out before the bottom half leading to overwatering.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IDK makes me think the top would dry out before the bottom half leading to overwatering.
I water mine every regardless.
I think overwatering might be harder to do than most people think.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I water mine every regardless.
I think overwatering might be harder to do than most people think.
It depends on the soil content. If the soil is too fine and is made of elements that tend to break down over time over watering can be a great problem especially with Mugo Pines which as I have mentioned many times in the past like to be constantly hydrated by cannot tolerate being bogged in soggy soil. It is mostly why I do not use Akadama.

Top Bottom