Scots Pine Branch Trimming

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've let this Scots Pine grow unrestricted for 4 years and it is very vigorous so I would like to start initial shaping now. There are 5 branches within 1.5" of the soil line but nothing for another 6" where 3 very bushy branches come from a single whorl, and a 4th branch is growing vertically. Should I:

1. leave all 5 low branches untouched
2. remove one, two, or all of the 3 branches 6" higher
3. allow the 4th branch to grow unchecked as a sacrifice?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_3749.jpg
    IMG_3749.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 36

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
4. other things entirely?

I'm interested in creating back budding and keeping the tree healthy, so I'm wondering how much foliage I can remove now to accomplish either of these goals.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First question should be, what future do you envision for this tree?

Do you want it to be taller or short?
Do you want a thicker trunk?

The answers to those questions will help guide the development of this tree.

You could use the trunk above the low branches as a sacrifice and develop your future tree out of the lower branches.

Or if you want to keep the main trunk and use one of the lower branches as a sacrifice. However you have very little going on between the lower branches and the upper ones at this point to make it interesting.

One thing you will eventually have to do is remove all but one or two branches that come out of the trunk at the same place or the trunk will thicken at that point and create a bulge and reverse taper.

Lastly if you want backbudding, you need to feed the tree heavily besides deciding a path for its development.

Top Bottom