Scots pine bud clusters!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Nutters!

About 12 months ago I purchased a Scot's pine as raw/pre bonsai material. It has a few clusters of buds which I can't find any information about. What's the best way to manage this growth? What's the cause of it?

Thanks
I finally found -by chance- what is the cause of it in this video : it is the bite of mites on the buds that causes this reaction. It is said in the video that it isn't a serious problem as it can usually be cured by a few acaricide treatments, . He advises to be vigilant as this parasitosis is more & more frequently seen. He calls it "acarien des merveilles" = "wonder mite".

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I finally found -by chance- what is the cause of it in this video : it is the bite of mites on the buds that causes this reaction. It is said in the video that it isn't a serious problem as it can usually be cured by a few acaricide treatments, . He advises to be vigilant as this parasitosis is more & more frequently seen. He calls it "acarien des merveilles" = "wonder mite".

I don't want to believe this, because it's one man telling us this. But it seems that there might be some truth in it!

Trisetacus spp. seems to be able to deform buds and cause bud clustering. Nice find!

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you for the link. It doesn't look like something healthy to me, as many buds die on the witch brooms that developp on my scott pines. The needles of the witch brooms on my trees are short but soft and not straight unlike the normal scotts pine needles. That's why i cut them on my pines. The less those witch brooms appear on my pines, the better in my opinion.. Just my feeling/opinion as i don't know what it is really and why it appears. 🤔

Wow amazing. I'll have to dig a bit deeper. Thanks

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't want to believe this, because it's one man telling us this. But it seems that there might be some truth in it!

Trisetacus spp. seems to be able to deform buds and cause bud clustering. Nice find!
Interesting. In order to get another pro answer, it would be interesting if a BNut member who is also a Mirai.Live member could ask Ryan Neil during a Q&A session ^^

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I beg to find a middle ground and state: Pines are reliable in the sense that they're difficult to airlayer.
Well I have to admit to some success. But not without some perseverance . White pine 3rd year, old school method with wire tourniquet.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom