Scots pine bud selection?

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Growing out this scots pine, telperion style (long sacrifice leader). So focus lies on growth, specifically trunk growth, not ramification.

Wondering when/what should I do in terms of bud selection? Been meaning to ask earlier so perhaps I already missed the optimal window. But should I let the buds elongate more, or even let them push out needles? Or remove some of them now? In the end I'd say keep 3 buds per branch tip? Then reduce the leader from three to a single in late winter?

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Picture didn't upload for some reason, see below.

Attachments

• scots pine.jpg
    scots pine.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 44

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
On the sacrifice branch I would leave everything and cut back to a central shoot in winter.
For all the rest I'd still select the buds to make pairs of two or three.
But as soon as they grow out to shoots, I would wait for them to harden off and cut around late august.

Reactions: Ply

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My understanding is you leave as much growth on the leader as possible without shading out the lower growth.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
On the sacrifice branch I would leave everything and cut back to a central shoot in winter.
For all the rest I'd still select the buds to make pairs of two or three.
But as soon as they grow out to shoots, I would wait for them to harden off and cut around late august.
What would've been the ideal moment to remove the buds?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In areas you are developing for future branches, I'd reduce to two buds per tip.

I also prefer to do this in winter. I'll usually do it in December.

Top Bottom