Scots pine evolution 2009 - 2015

Reaction score
It is filling in a bit. After last years repot it did ok, but a bit less vigorous than expected. The reason for repotting was a root that was becoming to dominant, so we removed strong growing roots. To even out the tree and prevent problems in the distant future we decided to do a new repotting session this year. We saw a healthy root system and we could eliminate some problem areas.

I had the opportunity to show my tree on a bonsai show from our "club".
topic about Kei Bonsai Kai Exhibition

Together with one of my other trees. (Yes the table under that one is way to big.)
IMG_7568.JPG

IMG_7569.JPG

Video on Youtube

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is filling in a bit. After last years repot it did ok, but a bit less vigorous than expected. The reason for repotting was a root that was becoming to dominant, so we removed strong growing roots. To even out the tree and prevent problems in the distant future we decided to do a new repotting session this year. We saw a healthy root system and we could eliminate some problem areas.

I had the opportunity to show my tree on a bonsai show from our "club".
topic about Kei Bonsai Kai Exhibition

Together with one of my other trees. (Yes the table under that one is way to big.)
View attachment 107140

View attachment 107141

Video on Youtube
Why do you say "we"?

Reaction score
Why do you say "we"?
I do follow lessons with a bonsai master for a part of my "collection". Its good to have someone experienced looking over your shoulder when doing things (in bonsai that is). I started this tree with him so i can not say I did this, or I did that, it would not be respectful, so i feel (it might be a cultural difference how we use "we"). in I do believe "we" are just temporary owners of trees. It is not ours. It is for the next generation as well.
That's a long answer, maybe i just have a Dissociative identity disorder.

Reaction score
Short after the show i removed the old needles. After repotting two years in a row the tree was somehow slow to respond as expected. Needles are small, buds are bigger than last year. It was a good growing season here. Next year i hope to stop growth earlier. Hoping needles to be a bit bigger.
IMG_20160924_133609.jpg

IMG_20160924_133619.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
unless I mis-understood your first post from 2009 - 2010 this tree was styled 1 year after collection. Most people recommend waiting quite a bit longer than that with Pines but you have posted a good example that it can be done. I love what you have done with the tree. This is an awesome Scots!

Reaction score
Nice work! It is great you are able to learn with someone of good experience, and put that knowledge to work!
Yes, having a professional with lots of experience guiding me does make evolution faster. Both for me and for the tree. Most of the time the tree has a faster evolution than mine. It's difficult to judge the result of certain techniques and so it is difficult to chose the right one. The other part that is difficult without guidance is knowing when your tree becomes weak. I hope to keep doing things ok. Thanks for the thumbs up.

Reaction score
unless I mis-understood your first post from 2009 - 2010 this tree was styled 1 year after collection. Most people recommend waiting quite a bit longer than that with Pines but you have posted a good example that it can be done. I love what you have done with the tree. This is an awesome Scots!
Yes, it is best to wait. What i didn't say is that i even cut of a long branch at the moment of acquisition and wired a big primary branch. That time it was a few months after digging out of the mountain. Important at that time was the feeling of the foliage. Nice and cold ad a warm-ish day. The cutting of the branch was not a problem, in the growing after that the tree showed no real extension, indicating the roots were not able to do more than sustaining the moisture in the needles. I do not recommend doing this kind of work so early in the development. In this case i acquired the tree at the place of the men who digged the tree out. It's an old student of my master and a professional now. When you dig the tree out yourself you can judge if it is doable. Otherwise, wait. Everything can be done, but often you should not.

Reaction score
In 2017 the tree came weak out of the winter storage. First time in greenhouse for a prolonged time and i didn't adjust my watering accordingly i guess. I think it went too dry at some point. Brown and dead buds all over the place. I left the tree alone for the year and some recuperation was coming. In spring 2018 i lifted the tree from it's pot since the tree still wasn't thriving as hoped. Biggest part of the compact rootball looked good so i didn't loosened it. Early fall (2018) i did some needle plucking. Now it was time to put some wire on again. Some little branches are lost but for most part there is no problem and the natural selection takes place as usual. Obviously the tree is further punching out of it's pot so i think it wants a repot. I think the moment comes to chose a better pot. Are there suggestions or virtuals?
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really great progression. My Scots pine knowledge is not sufficient to give suggestions, but I’ve learned plenty. Thank you for sharing.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great tree, how's it doing nowadays?

Top Bottom