Scots Pine help

Gbhphoto77

Sapling
Reaction score
20200528_134715.jpghow would i induce back budding on this tree so i can start the next phase?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree is weak

Feed it every 2 weeks with good quality fertilizer during the growing season (March - September) and let it grow until its stronger. Then you can start tecniques to try to get it to back bud.

Also please add your location to your profile. A lot of answers to questions in bonsai depend on your location

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree has great starting structure☺️. Indeed needs more needle mass. time to grow strength for more budding. Also would recommend growing out sacrifice apical branch to make trunk bigger several years;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The next phase is waiting....the next, hell, and current phase is always waiting!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Gbhphoto77

Sapling
Reaction score
This tree looks weak. It needs foliage mass and strength to backbud. I would let it grow unchecked for a couple of years. It will back bud when it is growing strong.
Ill get a current photo. This is from 2 years ago. Im in zine 5a aka Michigan lower half.

Gbhphoto77

Sapling
Reaction score
This tree looks weak. It needs foliage mass an
View attachment 429786how would i induce back budding on this tree so i can start the next phase?

d strength to backbud. I would let it grow unchecked for a couple of years. It will back bud when it is growing strong.
Will it back bud on the low branches. Thats my issue. The top is covered with buds. Its those scale covered knarly branches on the bottom that are the issue these are the new up to date photos

Attachments

• 20220412_192713.jpg
    20220412_192713.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220412_192709.jpg
    20220412_192709.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 60

Gbhphoto77

Sapling
Reaction score
Where are you wanting to see buds come out?
On the inside. So far the obly place i have new needles is on the very tips of the branches. I need some new tiny branches to fill the tree. Black pine buds easily.. for me anyway. By the Scotts is tough. I grew this one since it was a tiny whip. About 10 years now. I got it for 4.99 😆
The left branch , left in photois longer the needles you see are actually from a branch bending back from a longer one. Ill see if i can get close ups.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Check this out…

Gbhphoto77

Sapling
Reaction score
Check this out…

Cool!!! Thanks for that! Its exactly what i needed. Now i need to make more fertilizer... such a pain, but way cheaper the buying ready made. Saddly money is a thing.
Again thanks so much

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool!!! Thanks for that! Its exactly what i needed. Now i need to make more fertilizer... such a pain, but way cheaper the buying ready made. Saddly money is a thing.
Again thanks so much
Damn can a brutha get a like??

😂😂

I feel so invalidated…..

JK dude! Best of luck. Come back and keep us posted. Good community of plant lovers here!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so those pictures are a little better but unless it's the lighting, those needles are a bit yellow. Looks like a deficiency to me.

Straight fertilizer wont be enough. I'd start feeding it with fertilizer that contains micronutrients and add some chelated iron to it as well. It will take time for it to green back up so be patient. I used it on a Japanese white pine that had turned yellow on me by mixing it in with my liquid fish emulsion when I fertilized.
You can get a small bottle fairly cheap on Amazon.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually. I just zoomed in on the closeup of the needles. It's hard to tell but it looks like you might have a bad case of scale. Pull a pair of those yellow needles apart and look on the inner sides of the needles near the base. If you see white and/or brown spots/shells, you have scale and thier sucking on the needles is causing them to yellow

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will it back bud on the low branches.
In a word NO! Not normal for pines to back bud on old/bare branches but some few pine species do. If letting tree grow bigger bareness of inner lowest branches not much matter ;). Have personal suspicion "yellowness" of needles is lighting or photography rather than bugs🤨.

Top Bottom