Scot's Pine - Initial Styling

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this scot's from one of the auction sites. It's a good example as to why one might NOT want to purchase trees online. The tree has a lot of flows that were not readily available to see via online photos. Nevertheless, I'm working the tree to try and bring out the best in it.

Here's the first photo, as it was presented to me on the auction:
20181130_013751400_iOS.jpg

Unfortunately, there were some pretty deep scars on the other side and the nebari from this view was not good.

Here's some pix from the other sides of the tree:

20181130_014147600_iOS.jpg20181130_013849200_iOS.jpg20181130_013830700_iOS.jpg

I decided to rotate the tree and actually use those scars and try to create a tree that has been weathered and beaten.

So this was my new front and my before picture:

20181130_014147600_iOS.jpg

And the After:
20181130_201921500_iOS.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well... hard for me to tell what's going on from that photo. I'll assume you know what you're doing and that's a bad pic :) You may simply be constrained by how far you can take the tree in this first initial stage.

What I like:
(1) You did a good job crunching in that foliage
(2) I like how you opened up the trunk scar
(3) I can see the outline of the tree and think it could look really cool in the future

What I wonder about:
(1) I can't tell where your apex is - which of the two uppermost tufts of foliage it is supposed to be, so it is hard for me to look at the trunk line and feel the movement of the tree
(2) Right below the apex there is an eye-poking branch that comes directly out of the center of the trunk and then crosses to the right. You may have just left it until the tree gets stronger and recovers, but that branch has to go :)
(3) The branch below isn't much better, but it appears you could pull it to the right a little more so you can open up the trunk line

Not every pre-bonsai can be turned into instant bonsai. This was a challenging piece of material and at least now it has a future :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scars=Character! Best not to carry dead wood to soil level. Current branch structure seems too busy/chaotic. Otherwise can be turned into great tree eventually especially with added size/trunk growth;). Plant in ground/grow container let sacrifice branch run some few years then pot up and develop.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So what I'm seeing from the pic and from seeing the tree ;) this is what I'm feeling.

The two branches I circled in red are looking weird with those curves going away from trunk. I would maybe think of removing which would also raise that side creating a bit of asymmetry. Then bring the upper branch down a bit more like I drew in. On the top two apex sections I starred in blue I would bring #1 down to fill the top since you'll be bringing the lower branch down a bit more and bring the back one #2 forward for the apex. Also watch tilting the tree up too much as it brings your eye in to the straight lower trunk. I think its better slanted over a bit.

2018-12-02_14.39.30.jpg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I appreciate all the feedback, I sort of feel like everyone wants to say,”Dude, that tree is trash!”, but is being really nice. Lol.

It’s a tough piece of material. I put a lot of time into wiring it, but ultimately it has much more work to be done. And I have much to learn.

Bonsai is such a humbling endeavor!

Thanks again, Nutters. I think I’ll let it rest and give it another look come spring.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm...,

I rather like the very first image as a “wind influenced” slant/ semicascade going to the left.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think the tree has lot's of potential, but I'm not sure your chosen front is the best. I think either image 1 or image 4 should be considered.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the tree has lot's of potential, but I'm not sure your chosen front is the best. I think either image 1 or image 4 should be considered.

I'm beginning to agree, or at least, maybe the angle needs to be moved slightly, which might soften the lines.

The issue w/ the first photo (and that's how it was sold to me, so initially, I also thought that would be a good front), is that there is absolutely no nebari on that side. @choppychoppy and I dug and dug and dug looking for roots and found nothing.

The other issue I saw with the tree was that the two of the upper branches were waaaaaay too thick for the size of the tree. So i felt those branches needed to go in order to create better taper. It will, of course, take time for the tree to regrow and fill in those holes.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm beginning to agree, or at least, maybe the angle needs to be moved slightly, which might soften the lines.

The issue w/ the first photo (and that's how it was sold to me, so initially, I also thought that would be a good front), is that there is absolutely no nebari on that side. @choppychoppy and I dug and dug and dug looking for roots and found nothing.

The other issue I saw with the tree was that the two of the upper branches were waaaaaay too thick for the size of the tree. So i felt those branches needed to go in order to create better taper. It will, of course, take time for the tree to regrow and fill in those holes.
Nebari is nice on a pine but not as important as trunk taper and movement. I think you're going to make something nice with this tree either way.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
6 month update. Growing OK, lost a few branches. I think I like this as a front.
93D91773-2096-4B52-BE1D-E782F103B6C1.jpeg

Still a loooong way to go with this guy. Not sure what my next step is. Obviously I want to get it super healthy...so maybe nothing, but the current pot is huge, and it’s a pain to move around, so I might think about a repot in the spring.

Thoughts and critiques are always welcome!

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The wire from last fall was beginning to really bite, so I cut it off today. I think my next step is a repot out of this rather large container. I’m thinking I’ll do that repot next spring (although with all the summer repotting discussions, maybe I should just do it now!). My question is that there are plenty of buds all over the place. Should I keep all this buds before I repot? Or should I pair those all down 2? IOW, does reducing to 2 candles weaken the tree to the point I wouldn’t want to repot? Hope that question makes sense.

Attachments

• 88AFF3CF-F027-46B4-84ED-F9066BC7CCDA.jpeg
    88AFF3CF-F027-46B4-84ED-F9066BC7CCDA.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 101

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
The wire from last fall was beginning to really bite, so I cut it off today. I think my next step is a repot out of this rather large container. I’m thinking I’ll do that repot next spring (although with all the summer repotting discussions, maybe I should just do it now!). My question is that there are plenty of buds all over the place. Should I keep all this buds before I repot? Or should I pair those all down 2? IOW, does reducing to 2 candles weaken the tree to the point I wouldn’t want to repot? Hope that question makes sense.

Bro, I'm thinking just let it hang till the fall and bring it. At that point I think you can make the decisions of buds. Also you can do the rewiring then and style tweaks and then the repot in the spring. That keeps it on the same work schedule as last season.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I repotted in the spring. Here is the tree from spring of 2020, before the repot.

E2409741-5743-429D-8667-CC1D992103F3.jpeg

Mid repot

F96A9241-D96F-48F9-8DE7-DB63FC02F69A.jpeg

I debated whether to wire and style this tree given I had repotted earlier in the year. Ultimately, I decided to wire it out b/c the tree showed strength and I wanted to open it up in the hopes to get light to the interior. This tree is leggy and needs more back budding.

The needles on this tree are small, so I’m hopeful for it’s future.

I’m always open to thoughts, critiques, or just general discussion. Happy Bonsai!

FFE346DA-5C02-4C1D-AFBD-A97D724BDB95.jpeg8440B89C-B5B4-42E3-8434-0DAE4DDDDA5C.jpegA0645759-AA6C-4550-BE2F-7C1484809A56.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This rule....to not have things parallel with the pot lines .....

The tail and nose jins disrupt the flow for me.

Otherwise, commendation for getting the work done.

Sorce

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Big improvement in the last 3 years. A much better tree now the way I see it.

Top Bottom