Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still working on this Scots, but here's an update in its new pot.

I'm afraid I passed on some eariler opinions expressed here, such as putting back in the ground, taking off branches, or the apex, but I did appreciate the input.

Will

Attachments

• scotts_literati_001_500.jpg
    scotts_literati_001_500.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I think this will have a nice image once it matures more. There's still that loop at the apex though.
I've asked this question on another thread, and I can't remember which one it was now, and I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I would like to hear some opinions on the difference (if there is one) between bunjin and literati. Are the terms synonymous? Or are there differences?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think this will have a nice image once it matures more. There's still that loop at the apex though.
I've asked this question on another thread, and I can't remember which one it was now, and I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I would like to hear some opinions on the difference (if there is one) between bunjin and literati. Are the terms synonymous? Or are there differences?

Two points: First, I believe Will's tree is progessing really well. Having actually seen the tree the picture does not do it justice. Second; I too await an explanation of the difference between literatti and bunjin; I do not remember ever reading that there is but I am always open to being informed about something I did not know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bunjin is Japanese in origin, Literati is Latin, both meaning roughly the same thing, scholar.

Here is a close up of the trunk and the bark which is starting to mature.

Attachments

• scotts_literati_bark.jpg
    scotts_literati_bark.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a side by side of the pictures in this thread, showing a 10 month progression.

Attachments

• scots_literati_10_month_progression.jpg
    scots_literati_10_month_progression.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 97

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good. I'm glad you followed your vision, after only 10 months it has come a long way. Nice to see you backing it up. ;) :D

-Dave

btw, how much root pruning if any was invovled in the re-pot, and when did it go into the Horst, and how much work was done at that time? I love run-on sentences. My English professor is stabbing herself in the heart right now. Thanks Will.

[edit]:

Here's a side by side of the pictures in this thread, showing a 10 month progression.

After posting this, I looked back in the thread. Yes Will, you did present a 10 month progression in that 3 picture montage. But, it was between the 2nd and 3rd pictures. I am new to this hobby and try to learn from what I see, read, hear, and expirement with. You claim to try to promote this hobby, yet if I wasn't keen enough, you would have mislead me and others. I hope your styling contest goes well.

first: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17989&postcount=1

then: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17992&postcount=3

By my count this is at least 18 months. Judging by the way you have presented yourself on forums throughout, I doubt this is a mistake. Just like Mr. Johnson.

Regardless, the tree is coming along nicely and I will refer to this thread when I decide to tackle literati/bunjin.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After posting this, I looked back in the thread. Yes Will, you did present a 10 month progression in that 3 picture montage. But, it was between the 2nd and 3rd pictures. I am new to this hobby and try to learn from what I see, read, hear, and expirement with. You claim to try to promote this hobby, yet if I wasn't keen enough, you would have mislead me and others. I hope your styling contest goes well.

By my count this is at least 18 months. Judging by the way you have presented yourself on forums throughout, I doubt this is a mistake. Just like Mr. Johnson.

Where does this stuff come from?

The first post was posted on November 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM ....so by my math that is just over nine months. 18 months would take us 6 months past November 2009 to may of 2010. Although I have been working on the tree for a year before the pictures were posted, the time frame shown in the pictures is 10 months, from picture to picture. To make it simple, the time from the first set of pictures to the last set of pictures (the progression) is under 10 months.

No conspiracy to mislead you or others, as usual, just the plain old truth. However, I can see where my wording could be confusing, but either way it is interpreted, 10 months or 18 months, is fine with me, as it still has years ahead of it.

Will

Last edited:

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
He already said he had been drinking in another thread...

I think what confused him (come to think of it, confuses me a little) is this statement:

It took about a year for it to start back-budding and filling out after that hack, but it is getting there. I was a little worried at first on the pot choice because of its extremely small size, but it has responded well.

Anyway, Will, have you thought about removing the lowest branch? The first branch appears to emerge from the back and is quite distracting to me. Perhaps rotate the tree to the right some, after it's removal? Can you post a shot of the branch structure, perhaps from above?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good. I'm glad you followed your vision, after only 10 months it has come a long way. Nice to see you backing it up. ;) :D

-Dave

btw, how much root pruning if any was invovled in the re-pot, and when did it go into the Horst, and how much work was done at that time? I love run-on sentences. My English professor is stabbing herself in the heart right now. Thanks Will.

[edit]:

Regardless, the tree is coming along nicely and I will refer to this thread when I decide to tackle literati/bunjin.

Thanks for sharing.

This forum seems fine without putting me into the equation (I assume "Mr. Johnson" was meant to be me admitting an honest mistake.) I would hope that since the controversy seems to bubble along without me that folks would refrain from injecting me into it.

Chris Johnston

Treebeard

Seedling
Reaction score
Where does this stuff come from?

The first post was posted on November 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM ....so by my math that is just over nine months. 18 months would take us 6 months past November 2009 to may of 2010. Although I have been working on the tree for a year before the pictures were posted, the time frame shown in the pictures is 10 months, from picture to picture. To make it simple, the time from the first set of pictures to the last set of pictures (the progression) is under 10 months.

No conspiracy to mislead you or others, as usual, just the plain old truth. However, I can see where my wording could be confusing, but either way it is interpreted, 10 months or 18 months, is fine with me, as it still has years ahead of it.

Will
I really can't follow this :confused:

There is nearly a year between the photo is post #1 and the photo in post #3, because in post #1 you said:
...This pic should the tree after a hack back and a repot into a Horst pot, ...
and in post #2 you said
It took about a year for it to start back-budding and filling out after that hack
Now skip forward 10 months, and you post a current picture and say:
Counting backwards from the latest photo in post #45, we count 10 months to get back to the photo in post #3. Count back 'nearly a year' more, to go from the photo in post #3 to the photo in post #1, you get nearly 22 months.

So, as far as I can make out, there is nearly 22 months between the first and last photos in your montage. Unless I'm reading it wrong. could well be. If there is 10 months between the first photo and the third in your montage, then either the first two or the last two must have been taken within a month or so of each other.

To clear it up, could you post the dates the originals were taken? It will probably all become transparent then, and I'll be going d'oh.

Chris.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Will,

where you show the three sides I would take the second one. The pot is fine. It looks like you could take off the lowest branch completely.

If I showed such a tree I would pluck all old needles, making the needle balls about half their present size or less. Then I would pluck all needles that point down. You will be surprised how much better the tree will look then. It will appear much lighter. On the images there is way too much optical weight. The trunk appears too thin and weak.

Concerning the loop on the top I would bend sharply and not round right at this little branchlet which will become the top then.

Otherwise I can tell good progress and light at the end of the tunnel.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Will,

where you show the three sides I would take the second one. The pot is fine. It looks like you could take off the lowest branch completely.

If I showed such a tree I would pluck all old needles, making the needle balls about half their present size or less. Then I would pluck all needles that point down. You will be surprised how much better the tree will look then. It will appear much lighter. On the images there is way too much optical weight. The trunk appears too thin and weak.

Concerning the loop on the top I would bend sharply and not round right at this little branchlet which will become the top then.

Good observations. Positive input and all about the tree--what a treat. Thanks Walter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will,

Thanks Walter, you addressed every single thing that bothers me about this tree. I appreciate the input and will certainly take it to heart.

I like the lowest branch on this tree so I'll have to consider the removal carefully, however, your suggestion on the apex sovled a perplexing problem, thank you!

I'll post an update once the foliage work is done.

So, as far as I can make out, there is nearly 22 months between the first and last photos in your montage.
Wow, that means I started work on this before I had it, I am good!

But let's say, for the sake of getting back on subject, that it is 22 months, 18 months, or 10 months, so what? Let's say it is 3, 4, or 5 years, so what? Do you have anything at all to say about the tree itself?

Silence is golden... what hooplah, no wonder folks don't post their trees.
Amen.

Below is the recent picture posted a few pages ago.......

Will

Attachments

• scotts_literati_001_500.jpg
    scotts_literati_001_500.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would strip the bottom branch and jin it. The foliage comprimises the tree but I think somehting there would give balance.

Treebeard

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow, that means I started work on this before I had it, I am good!

But let's say, for the sake of getting back on subject, that it is 22 months, 18 months, or 10 months, so what? Let's say it is 3, 4, or 5 years, so what? Do you have anything at all to say about the tree itself?
(my bold)Come on, just pander to little old me and post the dates the photos were taken. :)

Chris.

ps not keen on the hanging lowest branch or the pom poms. I like the trunkline.

Top Bottom