Scots Pine Literati

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's another one I have been working on. This pic should the tree after a hack back and a repot into a Horst pot, orginally meant for accents.

Attachments

• before right after repotting and first style.jpg
    before right after repotting and first style.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 672

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good, will look better when you wire the apex (if you haven't already)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It took about a year for it to start back-budding and filling out after that hack, but it is getting there. I was a little worried at first on the pot choice because of its extremely small size, but it has responded well.

Attachments

• second styling.jpg
    second styling.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 377
  • other side.jpg
    other side.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 291
  • another side.jpg
    another side.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 316

litoalansalon

Seedling
Reaction score
Looking good but would it be better if its planted in more appropriate training pot?
The 2nd pic could be the front, I suppose.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting suggestion, could you explain why exactly you would put this into a training pot?

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I haven't seen this tree in a while. It is starting to look exceptional; a convincing Literati. Keep the round pot, though you may be forced to put it into a larger one some day. In the discussion of the Literati style there seems to be only a couple of "Have To's" and the round pot is one of them. The exception would be a stone slab of some sort.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance.

This is the tree you gave to me once at a show to style when I was in need of material to style for the passerbys. Later you surprised me by telling me I could keep it. I still don't know if the gift was from the heart or because I screwed it up so bad that you didn't want it on your bench....either way it was appreciated.

Will

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
After photos show a much better tree Will, the wiring really brings the foliage in for a more compact tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance.

This is the tree you gave to me once at a show to style when I was in need of material to style for the passerbys. Later you surprised me by telling me I could keep it. I still don't know if the gift was from the heart or because I screwed it up so bad that you didn't want it on your bench....either way it was appreciated.

Will

It was from the heart, I don't abandon trees or friends even when they screw up, and you didn't, you had a good eye for the design all the way from the start.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Chris, I find myself in agreement with you on the pot, and so the search begins....

The orginal chop back was to fill the foliage out a bit, that was accomplished, growing it taller is always an option now.

Will

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few thoughts

D.

Attachments

• ruggedd bunjin.jpg
    ruggedd bunjin.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 79
  • scalloped bunjin.jpg
    scalloped bunjin.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 79
  • streaked bunjin.jpg
    streaked bunjin.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Ash and slip lg bunjin.jpg
    Ash and slip lg bunjin.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 78
  • new.style.carved.lit.front.jpg
    new.style.carved.lit.front.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 95

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
First from the right would be my choice. I think I have seen this pot or one like when you were here a couple of years ago. Your pots incidentally are great.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will,
How long have you been into bonsai? I myself am new, so take what I say in stride... First this tree needs to be in the GROUND. The bark is not nearly aged enough to give the literati impression you are attempting to convey. Second, literati should never be a last resort, and it seems that this may be the case. A cardinal rule is to start with better stock with features that will make a nice specimen one day. If it were mine it would go in the garden, and I would look for something with a little more potential (yamadori or nursery) in ten years, you'll be glad you did.

If you insist on keeping it potted, one of Dale's is the way to go.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since I think the tree in question has been addressed... can I ask to see the tree next to it on the right of the photo? It looks like it has a nice dead face. I would enjoy to see the whole thing. If you aren't of a mind to show it, I'll understand of course.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Will,
How long have you been into bonsai? I myself am new, so take what I say in stride... First this tree needs to be in the GROUND. The bark is not nearly aged enough to give the literati impression you are attempting to convey. Second, literati should never be a last resort, and it seems that this may be the case. A cardinal rule is to start with better stock with features that will make a nice specimen one day. If it were mine it would go in the garden, and I would look for something with a little more potential (yamadori or nursery) in ten years, you'll be glad you did.

If you insist on keeping it potted, one of Dale's is the way to go.

Why would you put it in the ground, what would be your intentions of doing so?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why in the ground?

Well, It would give this tree a chance to develop with minimal effort from the grower. This would allow for more time to be devoted to the nicer/more developed stock in the collection. Now that a general shape has been set, just put it out and let it go, and provide basic species specific pruning to promote back budding for future options. In that small pot, imagine how much care it will need over the next 15-20 years it spends waiting to be a bonsai.

Maybe after 5-10 in the ground it will be fantastic, or it will have presented many new options other than what was originally considered. Either way, I say put it in the ground and look for something a bit further along if you want it in a bonsai pot.

-David

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Well, It would give this tree a chance to develop with minimal effort from the grower. This would allow for more time to be devoted to the nicer/more developed stock in the collection. Now that a general shape has been set, just put it out and let it go, and provide basic species specific pruning to promote back budding for future options. In that small pot, imagine how much care it will need over the next 15-20 years it spends waiting to be a bonsai.

Maybe after 5-10 in the ground it will be fantastic, or it will have presented many new options other than what was originally considered. Either way, I say put it in the ground and look for something a bit further along if you want it in a bonsai pot.

-David

If you do that you lose the literati options now avaliable and in essence, transform this tree into a piece of raw material abandoning any hope of making a small literati out of it, which is what the grower intends for this tree.

Top Bottom