Scots Pine pot match

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I have been looking to replace this scot pine's pot since the day I purchased it about 1.5-2 years ago. Its currently in a hexagonal semi cascade pot. Im not sure what the previous owner was thinking, but to each his own. Here are two virts of two pots for sale I found. One is 14.5" wide and 3" deep and the other is 17" wide and 4.5" deep. I think ultimately something that is inbetween the two of these pots is exactly what I am looking for. I am open to all suggestions though. I forgot to add, the current pot is 13" wide and 5" deep. The tree itself is about 2' high, 4.5" trunk, and about 8" nebari.

Patrick

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 59
  • pot comparison.jpg
    pot comparison.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 60

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I prefer the right one. Heavy, tall trunk needs sturdy feet. Nice pine.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Brian. The pot on the left seems to be overpowered by the girth of the trunk. Pot on the right is a much better match both stylistically and in terms of size.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you looked at straight sided pots for this? For some reason, both the angle sided pots almost look too (for lack of a better word) refined? I think straight sides might add a touch of rugged? I really like your tree, a S. pine is on my short list.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Thanks for the input. The tree was acquired from a deceased member's collection, so it needs some refinement. It was actually grown from seed by one of the society's previous presidents. Cool history within our club to say the least.

Man, I love the pot on the right too! The color. The patina. Really, I like everything about it, cept the price. I am not sure if I want to spend $250 on it right now.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Man, I love the pot on the right too! The color. The patina. Really, I like everything about it, cept the price. I am not sure if I want to spend $250 on it right now.
You shouldn't have to spend $250...those Yamaaki pots show up all the time at Yorozuen on eBay (or by email request!), even with shipping, you can be under $200. I've bought a few from the seller you're looking at, also very good, but a little more expensive than the Yo. Nevertheless, it's a decent pot with great patina and I've never regretted spending a bit more to get that!

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I didnt know you could email them! Im high bidder on that pot, dont screw me, brian! I agree with you, that you can usually get them cheaper, but this is the first one ive seen thats 17" Usually, its unusual to see anything above 14"--atleast from my 3-4 months of looking. Easily would have saved $50, but some guy was bidding against me on it. Not the end of the world, because tokoname of that size and style brand new(without patina) is the same price. Patina comes for free : )

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don't worry...nice pot, but I'm looking for something else...and not too seriously right now. If you don't get it, just email the Yo and tell them what you're looking for. PM me if you need an email address, or just send them a message through eBay.

Top Bottom