Scots pine pot move

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I just saw the light. I've had a branch that hasn't been "right" forever (but didn't see why til now) and I'd like to remove that branch and move the tree into a pot that would complement the new form.

Would this be considered a ...repot? Not planning to trim roots ....just move tree into different pot.

If I were repotting with root work I wouldn't do it in hot August.

Think it would be okay to ...move... the tree ...roots and all into a different pot at this time?

:confused:

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Unless there is a problem best to wait. But there there is the old adage "live and learn".

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
as long as your slip potting it into a pot of same size or larger it won't hurt. You might not want to if root pruned in the spring and they are don't established roots but if they are your good.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
It looks to be a slip pot, but just to be safe I think I'll just lop off the branch and wait til spring in case the roots are ...needing... anything.
It hasn't been repotted completely for years.
Pretty large tree.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks to be a slip pot, but just to be safe I think I'll just lop off the branch and wait til spring in case the roots are ...needing... anything.
It hasn't been repotted completely for years.
Pretty large tree.

It has been my experience in the climate here that Pines and Junipers do far better if I don't repot them for years. It seems a bit boring but certainly makes us plan things long term(and I kill far less of them). From what I have read so far that is normal in many climates.

Grimmy

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
This will have been about 6 years since potting.

Also look at this....

http://ofbonsai.org/species-specific/two-needle-pine-care-basics

Timing the repotting: Right up to the time I started on this article: I always repoted my pines in late Spring early Summer when there was obvious swelling off the buds and there was no more real chance off heavy night frost. This time works fine for me up to now, bud I’m getting more and more convinced it is saver to repot in July/August just before the annual root grow period starts. The Pine is then at its strongest and will recover quicker from the stress that repotting always brings along.

aargh :confused:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not that it matters much but I have been telling you guys for years that it is better to repot both Scotts and Mugos in the summer.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
I just saw the light. I've had a branch that hasn't been "right" forever (but didn't see why til now) and I'd like to remove that branch and move the tree into a pot that would complement the new form.

Would this be considered a ...repot? Not planning to trim roots ....just move tree into different pot.

If I were repotting with root work I wouldn't do it in hot August.

Think it would be okay to ...move... the tree ...roots and all into a different pot at this time?

:confused:

Mud I think your fine. Just try not to disturb things too much.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mud I think your fine. Just try not to disturb things too much.

In a word Yes. As to major repotting I have been doing them in July for years. Of course you can do them however you want or buy whatever method you have been told. I hate to put your tree into the middle of a controversy but you might just as well know that there is a difference of opinion over the time to repot.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not that it matters much but I have been telling you guys for years that it is better to repot both Scotts and Mugos in the summer.

I replanted one about 4weeks ago. I believe it's about dead. Too bad it was a nice tree. Before pic. Before pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 62

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I replanted one about 4weeks ago. I believe it's about dead. Too bad it was a nice tree. Before pic. Before pic.

How did you do the roots and the soil? If you don't mind I would like to know your process.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I followed your process. I don't hold anything against please understand. Sawed off 1/2 of the bottom of the root ball. Then cut a couple of wedges. Raked out some spots that were not too compacted. Repotted in a mix of pumice and composted pine bark. I must have taken too many roots. Sorry mine was a mugo pine not Scott's. Sometimes we kill trees, but dang I really like this find. I will wait until it turns completely white then put in the dumpster and move on.....

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I followed your process. I don't hold anything against please understand. Sawed off 1/2 of the bottom of the root ball. Then cut a couple of wedges. Raked out some spots that were not too compacted. Repotted in a mix of pumice and composted pine bark. I must have taken too many roots. Sorry mine was a mugo pine not Scott's. Sometimes we kill trees, but dang I really like this find. I will wait until it turns completely white then put in the dumpster and move on.....

I guess we can't close the gate after the horse is out but damn,----you're right this was a nice tree. It is possible the wedges were just too much, I don't know for sure. I think I can guarantee the same thing would have happened in the spring.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I guess we can't close the gate after the horse is out but damn,----you're right this was a nice tree. It is possible the wedges were just too much, I don't know for sure. I think I can guarantee the same thing would have happened in the spring.

I don't think I have, or had, made it clear but, I usually do not give my trees wedgies on the first potting. I'm really sorry I was not more cautious in my relating my instructions. When I do it I do it by the seat of my pants and it is more by intuition than adherence to rules. If something doesn't feel right I wont do it. If something feels like I can go ahead and do it; it gets done.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Similar experience here (see thread below). I'm pretty sure I over-worked the root mass. After cutting off the bottom third (or so), I started teasing out the edges and top of the root mass, figured I'd clean up the surface roots a bit (untangle, straighten, etc). Once I got into it I kept finding "one more" and kind of got lost in the process. Didn't bare root the tree, but did a lot more root work than I had planned. Would the same amount of root work have killed the tree in the spring? No idea.

I'm keeping an eye out for other mugo's. I'd like to find 2 and work one in the spring and one in the summer and see what happens, but the pickings have been slim this year. Will look for some cheap ones at the end of season sales, even if they don't really have bonsai potential I can experiment.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?11927-Mugo-finally-got-one

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Similar experience here (see thread below). I'm pretty sure I over-worked the root mass. After cutting off the bottom third (or so), I started teasing out the edges and top of the root mass, figured I'd clean up the surface roots a bit (untangle, straighten, etc). Once I got into it I kept finding "one more" and kind of got lost in the process. Didn't bare root the tree, but did a lot more root work than I had planned. Would the same amount of root work have killed the tree in the spring? No idea.

I'm keeping an eye out for other mugo's. I'd like to find 2 and work one in the spring and one in the summer and see what happens, but the pickings have been slim this year. Will look for some cheap ones at the end of season sales, even if they don't really have bonsai potential I can experiment.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?11927-Mugo-finally-got-one

It probably would have. Mugos do not like their roots messed with in a big way, if you do it in Spring you will probably have troublre.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I did a slip pot on it.

This was what it was in prior

Attachments

• P1030010.jpg
    P1030010.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 29

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
Now it's in a round pot I had lying around and a big limb is gone.

It pleases me more in this pot. :)

Attachments

• scots pine.jpg
    scots pine.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom