Scots pine progression

Pioneersnt

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a scots pine that I've posted on another forum. Thought I'd share it here.

I bought this tree at a local swap meet for $10.00 US.

First chop to the middle whorl (red line in photo), Mid March.

Second chop above the lowest branches, End of April.

Carving on the trunk, Early June.

The growth on this tree has not slowed down sence I bought it.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Scotts Pine 001a.jpg
    Scotts Pine 001a.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Scotts Pine 013.jpg
    Scotts Pine 013.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Scotts Pine 023.jpg
    Scotts Pine 023.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 97

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you made the right decisions on what to keep from this material. You obviously have a goal and a game plan. Should make a nice little shohin. The only advise I would give is leave it alone for a while and feed it well. You have done alot to this little guy in a relatively short period of time.
Great start!

Pioneersnt

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. This is the vission I had when I first saw this tree. Thanks to the good advice of Vance Wood and others on how best to proceded, it has made it to this point.

Now it needs time to grow and recover. I would love to get this into better soil, but will have to wait.

Thank you for your kind words and advice.

Edd

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now it needs time to grow and recover. I would love to get this into better soil, but will have to wait.

As you are suggesting, wait on the transplanting until the tree has recovered substantially. Having a robust and undisturbed rootball will turbo-charge growth.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
I seem to have missed this thread before. The tree appears very healthy in spite of the hugh reduction you've done. Good work!
Sometime, if you can, I'd like to see a picture taken from the direction of the lighter and from lower down. Nice tiny tree.

Jay

Pioneersnt

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Jay.

Here are pictures from all four sides taken from the current pot level and an over head.

The growth rate of this little tree is amaising. It still has not slowed down.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score

Here are pictures from all four sides taken from the current pot level and an over head.

The growth rate of this little tree is amaising. It still has not slowed down.

Thanks for the pics. It will be interesting to see where you go with this one.

By the way, I've always liked your sig line about trying to be the person your dogs think you are.

Jay

Top Bottom