Scots Pine - sick?

IsaM

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whilst I've been into bonsai for 3 or so years now I have very limited experience with Pines. This is a close up the apex of a scots pine (although similar issues exist through the tree). As you can see it seems to have a white "fluff" that looks like some sort of fungus on the buds. I've also noticed that the tips of the needles have started to go yellow. Any idea what's going on here and what I can do to help the tree?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 15.59.40 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 15.59.40 (1).jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 15.59.40.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 15.59.40.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 15.59.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 15.59.39.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 44

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm no expert on pines by an means, but it looks okay to me. I'm sure there's a specific scientific term for that white fuzziness, but it appears on my pines as well in spring when they begin to push new growth. The yellowing tips could be from slight frost damage, but it's pretty normal from what I understand.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get a magnifying glass or loupe and take a much closer look at that white stuff. Often times on pines, it's just oozing resin, but sometimes, if proximate to the candle, and if fuzzy and easy to brush off, it can be a pest, and they get started attacking candles this time of year. I do see white resin on my vigorous scots tips, anything that oozes out of a scots pine tends to turn quite white in my experience. Either way though, it can be incredibly reassuring to have a magnifier with which you can rule out certain types of problems.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just before spring starts, they push a bit of resin out to push insects and dirt out of the bud. Also to keep new bugs at bay: if the resin warms up in the sun it'll become sticky and glues their mandibles together.

Most European pines do this. Nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom