Scots pine skipping a year of growth

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I have this scots that produced buds last year, but didn't develop candles during spring or summer. The buds thickened, some opened up a little bit, but that was it.
It was dug up three years ago, styled at the end of last winter and slip-potted when the buds were just about to open. But then it just stopped growing.

Right now it's still green underneath the bark, foliage looks okay. A few spots here and there, I already sprayed some systemic fungicide just in case.

Does anyone else ever encounter a similar situation?

Attachments

• IMG_20190614_173930.jpg
    IMG_20190614_173930.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20190210_104914.jpg
    IMG_20190210_104914.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20190226_175110.jpg
    IMG_20190226_175110.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 100

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Sounds like root trouble, to me.
It is as though the roots were overly pruned.
I didn't prune the roots when I slip potted it.. It was planted in bad soil though, very compacted. I just removed the top layer and combed of some soil from the sides and bottom.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Fishtank,
I am no expert in pines so here goes.
My best guess is that from your info it is in desperate need of a repot in the Spring. Getting rid of all of the crappy soil, and keeping lots of mycorrhiza fungi. As it is weak in condition I would be tempted to play safe and do a HBR (half bare root), eg half this year and then half in the next 1-2 years.
The doomsday buddies from previous posts are correct re root rot, but definitely not dead. I look forward to an update in the next Summer or two with a stronger growth after good root growth etc.
My 2 cents, Charles

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Fishtank,
I am no expert in pines so here goes.
My best guess is that from your info it is in desperate need of a repot in the Spring. Getting rid of all of the crappy soil, and keeping lots of mycorrhiza fungi. As it is weak in condition I would be tempted to play safe and do a HBR (half bare root), eg half this year and then half in the next 1-2 years.
The doomsday buddies from previous posts are correct re root rot, but definitely not dead. I look forward to an update in the next Summer or two with a stronger growth after good root growth etc.
My 2 cents, Charles
My thoughts exactly, thanks! If it makes it through the winter and it produces a decent flush, I think I can safely repot it and remove more of the old soil.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you had a chance to peruse the....

...thread? @Fishtank307

...don't really think the situation is going to improve with it's current conditions....

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to peruse the....

...thread? @Fishtank307

...don't really think the situation is going to improve with it's current conditions....
How could I not have followed that thread! ;)
But I'm not sure if the tree is going to benefit from a second repotting... It simply isn't growing (apart from the buds for next year). So I can't expect it to grow new roots when I do repot it now. Plus, I don't think the tree could handle any more stress right now :confused:
When I repotted it, I removed some of the old soil from the top and sides, and put it in course akadama and lava rock, 50/50 mix or so. This was done at the end of May, when the first buds started to open. I can only hope it has grown some new roots since then.

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_130502.jpg
    IMG_20190526_130502.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 31

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
When I encounter this kind of pb, I just slip-pot it in a larger container with 100% 3-5 mm pozzolane so the roots can get some oxygen.

I don't fertilize because if the roots are weak, it can kill them. I add liquid organic root stimulator, natural hormones, mainly auxins from various plants I guess.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
When I encounter this kind of pb, I just slip-pot it in a larger container with 100% 3-5 mm pozzolane so the roots can get some oxygen.

I don't fertilize because if the roots are weak, it can kill them. I add liquid organic root stimulator, natural hormones, mainly auxins from various plants I guess.
Good advice. I used rhizotonic as a root stimulator. I really hope it had some effect!

Top Bottom