Scots Pine Spots

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello everyone. I have a scots pine that is starting to get brown spots on the needles. I noticed it yesterday, and there are more today. Any ideas what it is, and anything i can do to save it? Also, what have i done might have caused it. Thanks alot for any advice.

Attachments

• DSCN3123.jpg
    DSCN3123.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN3124.jpg
    DSCN3124.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 110

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's a guess only, but do a search for Needle Cast and see if some of the images look like what your tree has...

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't quote me on this, but that doesn't look quite like needle cast to me.

I would do a google image search of all the possible fungi diseases and pest infestation that are out there.

Judging by the pale brown color, it looks like there may be some sort of mite infestation.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Its definately spreading to other branches, and nothing is on the needles. They seem to be turning more brown. It started the other day with dotted like specs on the needles. Now some of the needles are all brown, but the branch is still very green underneath. Here are some more pics so you might be able to tell more. Thanks again. Im looking for pictures of needle cast, so ill let you know. They almost look a little pale yellow, or beige color. The tree had scale about two months ago, and was treated the last time about 3 weeks ago with a fungicide spray.

Attachments

• DSCN3133.jpg
    DSCN3133.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN3135.jpg
    DSCN3135.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN3136.jpg
    DSCN3136.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN3137.jpg
    DSCN3137.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN3138.jpg
    DSCN3138.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I found something similar today on a Huangshan,we just had icy weather and a thaw and some late needles that had formed about the apex buds look rather similar.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Same here, we are just coming out of the coldest 3 weeks weve had in a long time. It was down into the teens every night for a week, and has been in the low twenties. The branches are still very green under the bark, but this just started appearing on monday night or so.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks like a fungal infection. I would suggest spraying with Captan, an Ortho product if you can find it. Should stop it and wont hurt the tree. When did you wire the tree? It is possible that the cambium was damaged when wiring causing branches to die, unlikely but worth a look.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It was wired at the end of september, the 22nd. Thanks for the info Vance. It has definately gotten worse in a couple days.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's a guess only, but do a search for Needle Cast and see if some of the images look like what your tree has...

First thing I thought of, too. Needle cast is a fungal infection, by the way, and is not related to exposure to cold temps, but actually, warm, rainy, humid weather in the spring time (helps the fungal organism spread).

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given the unnusual deeply cold December we've had on the East Coast, along with the heavy winds, I wouldn't rule out a root/soil issue...Infections usually don't spread that quickly. Dead roots, however, can cause extensive dieback in a few days--after the soil has begun to thaw and the tree starts using its roots again.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It was almost like it started when the snow started to melt from saturdays storm. Is there anything that should be done?

Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was going to pick of the stuff with obvious cell death to forestall any opportunistic pathogens but became embroiled in other matters.

I think i will do a bit of snipping tomorrow.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It was almost like it started when the snow started to melt from saturdays storm. Is there anything that should be done?

I would spray it with a fungicide such as Captan. I would also make sure it is not sitting in water but slightly up off the ground. It is possible there is a root problem going on here but usually that kind of thing does not appear till spring.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Might want to pop it (gently) out of the pot and see if the roots are a sloppy mess, if not put it back in and watch the watering.

If it's not a mess then handling can do this type of "damage" to the needles.

If it is a mess then some good bonsai soil, and a place where it won't freeze would be in order.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have them on a slope to make sure water runs off under the mulch. My wife is picking up some captan on her way home. I took it out of the pot, and there are brown roots, but some that are black, i grabbed one of the black ones, and it came right off where i touched it. It could use repotting, but i dont think its totally pot bound. My teacher said we would repot this spring, and i got it from him. I dont see any tiny white feeder roots. It is wet, but doesnt seem drenched. It is planted in bonsai soil and doesnt look like its broken down. Would pictures help?

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Can you bring it to your teacher? He is hopefully not only familiar with the tree but also with the appearence of fungal disease and/or root issues and be able to advise you going forward.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I am taking it tomorrow. He just answered my email, so hopefully will know tomorrow. Ill let everyone know what we come up with. Thanks again.

Last edited:

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I just got back and we think it is just a chemical burn to the needles. I used an insecticidal soap, and probably should be using something different for the pines. The buds are still green, and the branches are very green, so he said it would be ok. Thanks for all the help, and ill keep you posted.

Top Bottom