Scots Pine Styling

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Here is another nursery find...... this is very rare to find scots pine of this quality in nurseries.....

The story.... Thanksgiving of this year we had some family members get sick and not come to visit. Rich and his wife were heading to central Oregon for the holiday and invited us to go along. So at the last minute we loaded up all the food and some trees to work on in the hotel room.

With fat bellys and some beers we started to make some decisions on what to keep and what to get rid of. Well the fat bellys got the best of us and we stopped at the 2nd picture. Once I got home it sat in front of the garage for a month or so when I finished thinning it out and started to wire it a few days before Christmas. Then with the buds looking good and the roots healthy I decided to pot it in this pot.
Not many roots were removed to get it in the pot that it is in now. Overall I am happy with the tree, I think it needs to fill in and go untouched for the next 2 years before I can start reducing and compacting branches. The trunk has a nice subtle bend down low and really good bark (for a nursery tree) from top to bottom.

Tree has a 4 inch trunk and is 30 inches tall including the pot.

Let me know what you all think, good or bad.

Pictures- before, some progress, after front and after back

Enjoy!

Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• scotsb4.JPG
    scotsb4.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 88
  • scotsprogress.JPG
    scotsprogress.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 73
  • scotsafterfront.JPG
    scotsafterfront.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 103
  • scotsafterback.JPG
    scotsafterback.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the pic, I think I'd like the back as the front better with the bottom left branch shortened and the third, fifth, and sixth from the bottom branches on the right side removed. That just jumped out at me, dunno how it'd look in real life as opposed to 2d.

Regardless, excellent progress! Thanks for all the trees you've been posting, keep it up!

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
From the pic, I think I'd like the back as the front better with the bottom left branch shortened and the third, fifth, and sixth from the bottom branches on the right side removed. That just jumped out at me, dunno how it'd look in real life as opposed to 2d.

Regardless, excellent progress! Thanks for all the trees you've been posting, keep it up!

Hi Grog,

Thanks for the feedback! I will take a look at what you pointed out and see if in person it is an option or not.... I know right not it has a bit too many branches but for the health of the tree I thought I would leave more than enough. I think in 3 years this tree will look different in many ways.

You are welcome for posting all the trees, trust me there are some more, my best trees but I am going to wait on those.... and I am wondering, Am I the only one working on trees this spring or the only one posting??

Thanks, Jason

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm heading to Chris's workshop this coming weekend, taking what is most definitely the very best tree I own with me. If I do it justice I'll show what I did with it and some of the other stuff. Here's the Shimpaku as it is now. We'll see how it turns out.

On second thought, even if I screw it up I'll post what I did wrong anyways ;)

Attachments

• shimp1.jpg
    shimp1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 50
  • shimp2.jpg
    shimp2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 31
  • shimp3.jpg
    shimp3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 29

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and I am wondering, Am I the only one working on trees this spring or the only one posting??

Hi Jason,

I'm working on trees too, but I'm still trying to get through all my repotting first!

-Darrell

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You guys don't know how fortunate you are living where you live. You are in the middle of repotting, we are for the first time enjoying temperatures above freezing two days in a row since before Christmas. It is going to be another two to three weeks before we can start considering this kind of thing, and then it is risky. It is not uncommon for sub zero weather to hit the early part of April around here.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm heading to Chris's workshop this coming weekend, taking what is most definitely the very best tree I own with me. If I do it justice I'll show what I did with it and some of the other stuff. Here's the Shimpaku as it is now. We'll see how it turns out.

I look forward to seeing the results.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

I'm looking forward to this weekend too, to get a chance to meet folks I only know from online! That's an interesting piece of material, can't wait to see what you can do with it.

Well, it's not the easy way, but it's the bonsai way!:D

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You guys don't know how fortunate you are living where you live. You are in the middle of repotting, we are for the first time enjoying temperatures above freezing two days in a row since before Christmas. It is going to be another two to three weeks before we can start considering this kind of thing, and then it is risky. It is not uncommon for sub zero weather to hit the early part of April around here.

Hi Vance,

I lived in the U.P. for four years (back in the 70's, Kincheloe AFB, I'm an Air Force brat), so I do know how fortunate I am!

-Darrell

Top Bottom