Scots Pine styling

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello,
Would love to get some feedback on this Scots Pine styling. Not sure about the jins and ”hanging” branches. The top jin has character but maybe too much.
Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• EFFA20C6-8A96-4DA4-AB7C-84FEC9133F52.jpeg
    EFFA20C6-8A96-4DA4-AB7C-84FEC9133F52.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 127
  • E14B075B-C0D5-465D-9028-572FB1A82554.jpeg
    E14B075B-C0D5-465D-9028-572FB1A82554.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 133

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice, you don't have to worry about jins for now. That right branch might have to go in my opinion.

Thanks Pete, appreciate your comment and will take the right branch under consideration. It’s my second styling ever so keen on all feedback I can get for sure.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this was a tree in Sweden, the top jin would receive, over a single year, heavy rain, snow, freezing rain, hail.... which is to say it would break very quickly. Just a thought.

Otherwise, interesting tree, looks happy in a very small pot, kudos.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree about the right branch. It doesn’t flow with the rest of the tree. I think the top Jin is interesting but shortening it might be a good idea. I also think you could possibly rotate it a bit clockwise from the first image.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
If this was a tree in Sweden, the top jin would receive, over a single year, heavy rain, snow, freezing rain, hail.... which is to say it would break very quickly. Just a thought.

Otherwise, interesting tree, looks happy in a very small pot, kudos.

The tree is in Sweden, I get your point though. Not sure about the jin. I’ll let stay for a bit and see how I feel about it. Thanks for commenting.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The jin falling in front of the trunk is very distracting.....so much so I would remove it and have a fresh new look.

Pics please!

It is causing a seperation between the left and right that makes for easy decisions now. But severely haults a thirty year outlook.

I love the right branch.

By the time this tree is "finished"..or "refined" 5-10+ years...
I sure would want to know what that right branch might look like!
It could be amazing.

Mature with it...allow that time....

But without that one JIN.

The rest is set Nice to enjoy.

S

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second styling ever?!? Great job!! I think you’ve done some very nice things here. I’m also unsettled about that right branch. Will you take a daytime pic on a solid background? Hard to make everything out in the dark. Great start regardless.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice job so far. The main foliage mass is wayyy to large for the size of the tree and the size of that trunk. You barely notice the lower trunk is there at first because of the disproportionate foliage mass. Good second styling, I would work on cultivating interior growth to cut back to to start shrinking that big green mop.

The other thing is that I would remove all of the jins I can see in that photo, none of them really make sense with the overall design.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Take a photo from farther away, and zoom in. It gives a better perspective.

The upper foliage is too heavy for the trunk. It looks like you could shorten a lot of the branches up there.

Literati style is usually rather sparse. It’s a “less is more” kind of thing.

Also, you’ve wired the tips up. That’s a common mistake almost everyone makes. At first. I have a thread in the advanced techniques section where I show in detail how to wire pines. Search for “fishhooks” in the title, and “Adair M” as the author, and you should find it.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments. I've removed the jin in the middle of the trunk. Also I moved part of the lower pad to below, feels like the right branch now fits better into the styling. I agree that the top foliage is too heavy even though it's hard to show how long the trunk actually is, it's leaning towards the viewer so it's longer than it looks. I'm a little hesitant towards cutting of foliage at this point so might hold on to it to see how the tree reacts to this styling before I remove.

Attachments

• IMG_2672.PNG
    IMG_2672.PNG
    397.7 KB · Views: 84

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all the great comments. I've removed the jin in the middle of the trunk. Also I moved part of the lower pad to below, feels like the right branch now fits better into the styling. I agree that the top foliage is too heavy even though it's hard to show how long the trunk actually is, it's leaning towards the viewer so it's longer than it looks. I'm a little hesitant towards cutting of foliage at this point so might hold on to it to see how the tree reacts to this styling before I remove.
Perhaps some needle thinning on the left side? There are sections that appear to be too dense.

I’m not a fan of the blue pot either.

It’s a very interesting tree, and literati is very difficult to do. Take your time before making any major decisions. (Lol... I don’t consider pulling some needles a major decision! But pruning is!)

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Perhaps some needle thinning on the left side? There are sections that appear to be too dense.

I’m not a fan of the blue pot either.

It’s a very interesting tree, and literati is very difficult to do. Take your time before making any major decisions. (Lol... I don’t consider pulling some needles a major decision! But pruning is!)

Thanks again for further input, I'll give the needle pulling a try. No, I'm not really a big fan of the blue pot either. I haven't built up any kind of collection of pots to choose from unfortunately.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks again for further input, I'll give the needle pulling a try. No, I'm not really a big fan of the blue pot either. I haven't built up any kind of collection of pots to choose from unfortunately.
Start with the needles pointing down. Do those first, and see if that’s sufficient.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Much better, I like it. What's the story of this tree?
Maybe if it were mine I would bend the lowest left branch to the back and right to have something there and it could replace that hanging right branch very well.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Pete. I collected this tree a while back locally, it was on a rock so virtually all roots were intact and the root base was small so I actually decided to plant it straight into this pot.

Actually the lowest left branch doesn't reach around the trunk even though it looks like it. The tree is leaning forward so it's not long enough. I get your thought though and I like the idea.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Great job! Before reading any of the comments I concluded that the right branch should go. Having read both the for and against...I still think it should go. But that is also a decision you can wait to make.

Top Bottom