Scots Pine varieties and origins--differences?

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Just discovered that there are quite a few varieties of Scots Pines with subtle differences depending on their geographic region--Scotland, Spain, Russia, Turkey etc. Is anyone familiar with these varieties? Is one a superior candidate for bonsai? I suppose I am looking for which one is the Mikawa of the Scots Pines. Or, similarly which is the japanese larch of the group? I assume they are all pretty close, but one will have slightly shorter needles, better back-budding, better bark, whatever. Anyways, if someone has some insight, I would love to hear about it.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting question. I haven't seen any discussion on different varieties here. -- I think Bill Valavanis has a dwarf Scotts pine and there is supposedly another one out there, but it's incredibly rare from what I've heard. Bill might have some answers for you if he pipes in.

I would also ask this question on one of the European forums if I were you... (and then share what you learn here... ;) ) -- Try the Internet Bonsai Club: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.com/

I look forward to hearing more. :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bill's Scots is called an 'RAF'. I've searched for the meaning of 'RAF' and for the life of me I can't find it.
Wish someone would explain what it means.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bill's Scots is called an 'RAF'. I've searched for the meaning of 'RAF' and for the life of me I can't find it.
Wish someone would explain what it means.

It is a variety taken from a witches broom by R ichard A. Fennichia in Rochester, NY.

See Williams new book "Classical Bonsai Art" for further details.

Top Bottom