Scots Pine... what are these and what should I be doing with them?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now the only question is do they have enough time to grow and harden off before the cold of winter sets in. I would think they do, but it is a bit late in the season for that extension for us northern Midwesterners
If they do, they do. If they don't, they'll go dormant, and pick up where they left off next spring.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It doesn't look like a Scots Pine tbh - are you sure it's not a JBP?
Τhat's my exact reaction!
But my thought is for Austrian black pine...
4558926776_ffdcf4d9f5.jpg
These are scots pine candles.

pinus-nigra-6765438976-4.jpg
And these are Austrian black pine candles

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe you're right - the needles look too rigid and without a slight curve in them to be scots. Is Austrian Black pine a multi flush pine?

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I should snap some pictures of his fully mature, trained pines in real pots next time I help him free up space on his benches. Ridiculously beautiful. And it's all perlite and potting soil.... oh, and just a bit more than a pinch of Osmocote. Go figure!

If it ain't broke,,,

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
needles are curved:
IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1113.JPG

These were seedlings obtained by the previous owner from Brent Walston a couple of years ago. I would be surprised if both Brent and my club-mate mis-identified them.

They're still doing well.

Might select buds in October, but will leave buds on sacrifice branches alone (branches that will only be left in place for trunk maturation).

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, much to no one's surprise, I'm sure, I am the idiot.

Before I went to buy these trees I told my friend I was keen only on JBP... once there, he said he would not sell any of his JBP stock because they were progressing so well for him... and then we looked at his Scots pines in nursery containers... and then we looked at all his other incredible mature and refined pines...

at the end of the afternoon, he dragged out these three trees and said OK, here you go.

I left thinking they were Scots. Recall, I'm new to all this....

Not sure if I can change the thread title... but here we are.

Apologies for the confusion! And thanks Marie and Walter for forcing me to investigate more deeply.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
JBP, Scots, no matter. My advice is still the same.

At least now you know.

JBP and scots are treated differently so you will be able to adjust what you do.
Next year, you can cut the candles off at the end of June, beginning of July.

Its too late to do it now, so just keep feeding and watching them grow.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks, Sandy.

Will follow you earlier instructions and continue to read up on JBP. BVF has some info catalogued, as I recall.

Noah

Top Bottom