Scots Pine - What to do, is it worth it?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get your copper wire from Jim Gremel. It's simply the best, and not any more expensive than the others.

I'm looking forward to more updates!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Adam's Bonsai or Jim Gremel are good folks to get copper from.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Nice-now for a few years of power strengthening.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is now the possibilities of making a really good bonsai of this tree. I am not certain where your artistic eye is looking but I am anxious to see it.

This coming summer you should cut back the new growth in July as I have described for Mugo PInes earlier. You need to try and encourage Epichromic branches aka back budding and start developing this tree back on itself.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here I covered the sacrifice branches and rotated the tree a bit and you can see where I am going. These two pics are at slightly different angles. I cant really take a pic from the other side as the rest of the tree is still in the way.

View attachment 67928 View attachment 67929
Wire out to the end of the branches and cut the needles off the bottom of the brandhes. Lay the branches out flat and turn up the ends then let the tree grow till July when you can cut back the new growth as I described to you in another thread.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is an update on this pine.

Did some fall clean up work and wiring.
Hard to believe Ive had this tree for 7 years already.
Its been a long slow process removing all the octopus branches over the years, but I think not rushing it was a good thing.
One more year and the last of the octopus branches will be removed.
I kept one because I want to try grafting a new branch in a couple of spots.
If it works, great it will make the tree better, if not then its not a huge deal.

2019.jpg

And a vert with the last octo branch removed so you can see where Im going with it better

2019_Vert.jpg

Top Bottom