Scots Pine yamadori

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for the right Yamadori for about a year now, searching the local woods. I think I’ve finally found a pretty nice Scots pine now with a thick trunk and lots of interesting features such as deadwood, movement in two major branches and to top it off: it’s vigorous as well.
Let me know your thoughts and ideas for design if you feel like it. I’ll keep posting updates once I dig it up and put it in a training pot. (Sorry to do the can, but hey, it’s to get an idea of the size.)

Attachments

• A8DF877C-28DB-4F23-A922-20F670BE2876.jpeg
    A8DF877C-28DB-4F23-A922-20F670BE2876.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 209
  • F10D8961-64CC-4AF3-9BFB-B93D6EF081EB.jpeg
    F10D8961-64CC-4AF3-9BFB-B93D6EF081EB.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 217

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I would personally consider that very hard material to work with. Others might have a different vision, but that big lump at the base, with an old knothole scar, and then a thin trunk rising off to the side... It will require some pretty creative out-of-the-box thinking.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see extending buds. In my book that means: better off next year.
As for design, I wouldn't think about that until it's established in a container. That'd be 2 years from now according to some bonsai mirai video.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Agreed, it is a bit of a challenge, I am thinking creative as far as design goes.
As far as styling I’m not in a rush and don’t plan on any design until at least a year from collecting depending on recovery of the tree, maybe 2-3 if needed.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed should wait till 2019 to collect as is very worthy tree for future. Please add location to profile for better help;).

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes, I’ll wait until next year to collect. Tricky climate this year, coldest March in 150 yrs (in Sweden) and then summer came without almost any spring, so a tight period to collect this year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it Possible to collect?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would go after it.

Take your time collecting it.

Note that I have never done this but this is what I would do. Dig a narrow trench around half of the tree this year severing any roots you find. Cut any big roots back close to the trunk then pack with sphagnum. Next year do the same thing with the other half. If you can without disturbing the tree too much try to get underneath the root ball and sever any tap roots that are there. Lift the tree the following spring preserving as much of the root ball as you can.

At the same time you are preparing the roots for collection start working back the trunk to a manageable height.

Sthlmbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would go after it.

Take your time collecting it.

Note that I have never done this but this is what I would do. Dig a narrow trench around half of the tree this year severing any roots you find. Cut any big roots back close to the trunk then pack with sphagnum. Next year do the same thing with the other half. If you can without disturbing the tree too much try to get underneath the root ball and sever any tap roots that are there. Lift the tree the following spring preserving as much of the root ball as you can.

At the same time you are preparing the roots for collection start working back the trunk to a manageable height.

Thanks. Yes, I’m thinking about preparing it some this year. Good advice here. Cheers.
I dug up another pine last year that is doing very well with new growth popping out all over. I’m leaving it alone in growing box until next year. (See pictures).

Attachments

• 7FB65CA1-6D91-44FB-9ADF-9B98D6125443.jpeg
    7FB65CA1-6D91-44FB-9ADF-9B98D6125443.jpeg
    723.1 KB · Views: 121
  • C99BA11C-43A6-463C-8047-522C23260E68.jpeg
    C99BA11C-43A6-463C-8047-522C23260E68.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 106

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. Yes, I’m thinking about preparing it some this year. Good advice here. Cheers.
I dug up another pine last year that is doing very well with new growth popping out all over. I’m leaving it alone in growing box until next year. (See pictures).

Very interesting tree;).

Top Bottom