Scott’s 6 year JBP Contest Entry

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
This might be a stupid question since I know nothing of JBP's but whats the purpose in making a JBP cutting instead of letting it grow with the tap root? Is it because they stay short and more compact? Please forgive my ignorance. I just planted about 60 seeds after 4 weeks of cold stratification and I'm trying to learn more about them.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This might be a stupid question since I know nothing of JBP's but whats the purpose in making a JBP cutting instead of letting it grow with the tap root? Is it because they stay short and more compact? Please forgive my ignorance. I just planted about 60 seeds after 4 weeks of cold stratification and I'm trying to learn more about them.

Hi Paul. There are two reasons. The first is to decrease the distance between the nebari and the first node to you can get low branches. That’s very important if you’re growing shohin trees like what I’m going for here because,the first branch needs to be low to the ground. The second is to remove the tap root, which grows straight down. In response, the seedling will throw radial roots, which will improve the nebari as the tree develops.

S

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Hi Paul. There are two reasons. The first is to decrease the distance between the nebari and the first node to you can get low branches. That’s very important if you’re growing shohin trees like what I’m going for here because,the first branch needs to be low to the ground. The second is to remove the tap root, which grows straight down. In response, the seedling will throw radial roots, which will improve the nebari as the tree develops.

S

Excellent! Thank you for that information. I guess that many of the trees die but the rest are much better in the long run.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some climate info for Houston. It was a cooler than average winter, but the seedlings started off in the greenhouse. Late spring temps have been normal.
5847B8F8-4B26-410B-9F05-A17CD443EF59.jpeg

Top Bottom