Scott’s pine doon valley

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have a Scot’s pine I brought recently from a garden centre and want to make a bonsai from it my question is how would I go about it I’ve seen lots of videos on this subject but don’t know where to start with this one
question 1 should I cut some candles off now or leave it this year
question 2 can wire the candles I leave now to grow where I want them
question 3 I want to take the old leader away and use the lower branch would this be ok or will I kill the tree with these pruning at this time of year

Attachments

• EFE986A1-E686-4594-BE58-CD9BD5F9F026.jpeg
    EFE986A1-E686-4594-BE58-CD9BD5F9F026.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2D1633B4-2D69-4CFF-AE28-D0967C79AECD.jpeg
    2D1633B4-2D69-4CFF-AE28-D0967C79AECD.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 7F9BEACC-955B-42DE-A476-2C5AADB93574.jpeg
    7F9BEACC-955B-42DE-A476-2C5AADB93574.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 44
  • E68C78ED-7929-4A84-BAF6-6D1D835FDCA0.jpeg
    E68C78ED-7929-4A84-BAF6-6D1D835FDCA0.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 49
  • 945FEFF6-3C51-4F8C-9DC0-5AF2F9D65D19.jpeg
    945FEFF6-3C51-4F8C-9DC0-5AF2F9D65D19.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 48

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know this cultivar, so it might behave different.

1. No, I wouldn't cut any candle now. Candle cutting (snipping them in half) is something to balance single flush pines in spring. Scots pines can survive candle cutting like JBP/JRP but it's a process that soaks energy they usually don't have for multiple seasons. You can do that once or twice every 6 years. Reducing the shoots that formed this year, can be done now. But I haven't found a "scots pine wide universal response" to that technique.
2. I generally prefer not wiring in hot months, because the bark peels off easily in those times with conifers. But it can be done with caution, while noting that you'll probably have to do a do-over in fall. So why not just wait?
3. Yes. You can cut off the leader right now. And it's probably safe to reduce shoot pairs of three or four, to two's.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As for "cutting the candles", we need to clarify terminology and techniques so that it is clearer.

As mentioned, scots pines are single flush pines
What I know as "Candle cutting" is a method used to remove the entire candle on a two flush pine such as Japanese black pines. This is typically done toward the end of June or beginning of July.

In single flush pines we may do what we call "candle pinching" where we pinch existing candles in half in areas of the tree that are exhibiting high energy/strong growth to balance energy on the tree as mentioned. I normally have to do this in late May around here.

Wires-guy did say "cut in half" not cut off completely but just wanted to make it clear in case in the future you get Japanese Black pines and start to learn about those. The techniques for single vs double flush pines are different but sometimes people call it the same thing which can be confusing.

I agree with Wires-Guy, its best to wire the tree in the fall when it is the better time. Also with cutting the leader and reducing shoots.

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys what I am worried about is the shoots are very long and I don’t want it to run away from me if that makes sense not really sure how I want to style it or how far it will back bud
I also have two red pines a mugo pine and three Scot’s pines all young plants that I don’t really want kill but hone some pine bonsai skill on

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cultivar Doon Valley is a very slow growing dwarf that will get about 2 feet tall in ten years. It has a slightly irregular cone shape and short blue needles. Don't expect this to grow like a regular Scots pine. It just doesn't have the vigor .... or the genes. I might do a little pruning of any branches I find highly objectionable, but I would likely concern myself with just bringing the plant to a point of great health, and simply let it grow at least the rest of this season. I would get it into a shallower pot with a good bonsai mix next spring. That is all I would do for now until I see how the plant grows for a full season.
Unless you have bonsai ed this cultivar, you really have no idea of what you have as a bonsai.
BTW, I love all kinds of Scots Pines and I have a few cultivars myself.

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise I have other pines and plants to play with all that I got this year bonsai is a new thing for me so I guess I’ll wait and see how they all grow

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the advise I have other pines and plants to play with all that I got this year bonsai is a new thing for me so I guess I’ll wait and see how they all grow
You likely have other plants that have more of a proven track record that you can work on. I would just be a bit reluctant to charge ahead with one that is lesser known.

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have red pine haybud and red pine Jane kluis which look nice both with different needle types also have a mugo mops I think it is which is growing very well
the Scot’s pine I have are 2/3 year old seedlings I have plants everywhere around the garden now this all happened over the last 6 months lol I suppose you can never have to many I’ve always been into gardening and every year we put on a great show of flowers mostly petunia and other small bedding plants I feel it makes people very happy to grow plants and the garden looks great lol

Top Bottom