Scott pine backbudding after the repotting

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi all,
is possible to backbudding a scott pine the same year of repotting ?
I mean, I know that is better don't do the decandeling work on a scott pine , or in general, the same year of repot.
So how you can avoid the extra lenght of the new candel ? Leave the plant free to grow and cut at 2 3 pair of needle at the end of the season ?

thank you

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Leave the plant free to grow and cut at 2 3 pair of needle at the end of the season
That’s what I do. Timing for me is early August, when the new growth had hardened off and new buds are starting to form at the tips.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
That’s what I do. Timing for me is early August, when the new growth had hardened off and new buds are starting to form at the tips.
Ok, I see you are in UK so the climate is not so different from mine, Switzerland, Basel.
It's a good rule for all the single flush pine ?

wheatcherryowl

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, it's definitely possible to backbud a Scott Pine the same year of repotting. To avoid the extra length of the new candel, you could leave the plant free to grow and then cut it back to 2-3 pairs of needles at the end of the season. It's always best to take your time and be patient when it comes to bonsai, but with the right techniques, you'll be able to achieve the results you're looking for.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Ok, I see you are in UK so the climate is not so different from mine, Switzerland, Basel.
It's a good rule for all the single flush pine ?
I only grow Scots pines so I’ll leave it to others to talk about other species.

Top Bottom