Scott pine is looking for styling

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there,

bought this scott pine couple of years ago on Ebay, this year I put on a stone as experiment ( never did it) but I don't know how to manage it, especially
the right branch in the future.
This is year is gone since I don't want to be too aggressive, but for the nest year I would like to have some ideas on of styling...

20230602_152303.jpg20230602_152313.jpg20230602_152317.jpg20230602_152323.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When it is nice n' healthy, that first branch has got to go, then build out a mini literati/bunjin - it'll look ace!

I'd certainly give it, at the very least, a full growing season of unadulterated growth and then reduce in stages - also read up on pruning pines!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea in the meantime, learn all you can about single flush pines. They are not treated in the same way as Japanese Black Pine so ignore info on those for this pine.

Scotts, and Japanese White pine are single flush and are treated the same way.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Since this year and thanks to the forum I have learned a lot about single flush , ABP, Mugo and Scotts pine.
Yes also in my idea the right branch has to go, maybe a future jin, we will see.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh wow thank you, that's a new point of view that I was not thinking about, I like it.... Love also the virtual, very nice

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
This option uses more of that nice trunk:
virtual2.png
That's was my first idea, with or without Jin from the right branch...
I think there are not so many other way to use this plat as the double trunk is a nonono at least imo.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
That was the shape at the beginning of the season, during the repot I just bent on theleft the trunk because was tto straight

FB_IMG_1681317461196.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only suggestion would be to remove longest twig with straight reaching section from descending branch☺️.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think you could develop a new apex higher and let the other three branches develop pads.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with the recommendations to care for this tree and keep it healthy for all of this season and likely next season too. There’s no hurry on this tree to style it. At this point styling is just a source of stress. You have a good start with the needle work completed. I realize you didn’t ask about tree-care instead of styling, however, the tree health at this point is critical. Without a good solid return to health there may be no styling needed.

Now is a good time to research Scott's Pine bonsai and discover images that you like.

I do like the approach suggested by @Ininaatigoons Right off I didn’t see that optional future. After being suggested I liked it. I see excellent potential. It has some growing to finish off some pads but the three branch idea mentioned is a good idea. I would not remove that lower branch or any other branches at this time. I attached some thought results on the @Ininaatigoons idea mentioned.

Question: Will you need any additional Switzerland climate root protection since this is a slab planting? Best to plan ahead.
IMG_5664.jpegIMG_5665.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Only suggestion would be to remove longest twig with straight reaching section from descending branch☺️.
That would be like removing a limb from a squirrel that should be gathering nuts for Winter.
If it's using more energy than it is contributing, then sure, but the consensus is not to remove
energy gathering material. Did you mean in a few of years maybe?

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In the strengthening process, do not prune for a year or two. Let it gather strength. Feed and grow, and keep it watered. Winter protection if needed. Next year you can wire that top branch into a new apex. Then ratify those branches into foliage pads. You can always chase back growth on a Scots Pine by cutting off candles completely or partially in the future to develop pads.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Better taper keeping the right branch.

Sorce

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,

bought this scott pine couple of years ago on Ebay, this year I put on a stone as experiment ( never did it) but I don't know how to manage it, especially
the right branch in the future.
This is year is gone since I don't want to be too aggressive, but for the nest year I would like to have some ideas on of styling...

View attachment 491617View attachment 491618View attachment 491619View attachment 491620

Great little pine! I really like this tree.

Personally, I would Jin that lower branch and make a bunjin-ish tree from the upper foliage. Great movement in the trunk. Nice!

Top Bottom