Scotts pine back bud.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not very familiar with Poland's climate unfortunately, and haven't grown bonsai outside of Oregon. If I did grow pine bonsai in (say) Grand Rapids or Warszawa, I would probably first see what established pine growers/clubs in those areas are doing, since in Oregon I have a mild coastal climate that lets me do some things at times of year that I'd be hesitant to do in a shorter grow-season, bitter-cold winter climate.

One thing I am certain would be very different in Poland compared to Michigan would be the timing (or perhaps non-existence) of decandling of multi-flush pines (Scots is not often described as a decandle-able pine, but I saw that Jonas Dupuich wrote about it being possible, and some commenters on his post about it reported good results).

There are some great pine growers from Michigan on this forum, hopefully they can chime in.

Gbhphoto77

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with Poland's climate unfortunately, and haven't grown bonsai outside of Oregon. If I did grow pine bonsai in (say) Grand Rapids or Warszawa, I would probably first see what established pine growers/clubs in those areas are doing, since in Oregon I have a mild coastal climate that lets me do some things at times of year that I'd be hesitant to do in a shorter grow-season, bitter-cold winter climate.

One thing I am certain would be very different in Poland compared to Michigan would be the timing (or perhaps non-existence) of decandling of multi-flush pines (Scots is not often described as a decandle-able pine, but I saw that Jonas Dupuich wrote about it being possible, and some commenters on his post about it reported good results).

There are some great pine growers from Michigan on this forum, hopefully they can chime in.
thanks

Top Bottom