scotts pine soil staying too wet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
my scots pine was doing fine this summer, but with all the rain this fall, the soil is staying wet, and the needles are turning brown. should i repot it, or add some something to the soil to absorb moisture
whats a good soil mix for this tree?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I use one part Akadama, one part pumice, one part lava (or a similar mix with equivalent properties).
If it's still raining, you can try covering the pot surface with a tile or something.
I wouldn't repot right now, just try to keep it drier.
I would say that for the needles to turn brown, it would need to have been very wet for a very long time. If all the needles are browning this may be a sign of another underlying problem. You probably already know that they'll naturally drop some older needles around this time.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea wait till spring for a repot. Any chance on a pic? And any idea on the soil that its potted in now?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yea wait till spring for a repot. Any chance on a pic? And any idea on the soil that its potted in now?
Planted in mix of turface and chicken grit
Here's a pic of a few needles

Attachments

• 20191008_145252.jpg
    20191008_145252.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 107

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Planted in mix of turface and chicken grit
Turface is okay. I am in a cool rainy climate and grow everything (over 50 species) in nothing but MVP. It can be a problem for pines in shallow pots and when 'over-potted'.
I agree with TomB. Pines are really slow to tell you what is happening with them.
I would say that for the needles to turn brown, it would need to have been very wet for a very long time. If all the needles are browning this may be a sign of another underlying problem. You probably already know that they'll naturally drop some older needles around this time.

gonzogg

Seed
Reaction score
Is this the turface product that is used to mix with soil?

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pines usually “die” months earlier before they actually show it, how many times was it repotted and what is it’s age?

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bit hard to tell but those black marks, banding and fact it's outermost needles suggests needle blight to me. Better photo would help. Any new pines in last 2 years? If it's needle blight, copper fungicide and a suitable systemic, look up other threads on the topic, some in the articles section.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@PimGinseng and @JeffS73

You guys realize that this thread was originally posted a year and a half ago.
The tree is either dead or it the problem resolved (at least I hope so).

I know it gets boring in the winter because we cant work on trees.....

PimGinseng

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Paradox

🤣 I’m an idiot, I did not notice at all.
reading topics late at night after a long day of work clouds the mind. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, lesson learned 😉

And yes I guess winter time has this effect on people, we desperately want to “play” with our trees again.

Top Bottom