scotts pine winterization

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
ive got a large scotts pine and that was dug this spring, this will be its first Wisconsin winter. do i store it outside with the junipers on the ground covered in mulch, or put it in the unheated garage with no windows?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where was its last winter?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A p. sylvestris?

I'm not equating you to Richard Feynman, but surely you are joking.
An established P. sylvestris would be fine outside with the roots mulched... a "large tree" "that was dug this spring" would stand a better chance of surviving an upcoming Wisconsin winter with "extra protection"... that's my opinion and it ain't no joke!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are among the most cold hardy of trees, down to -40 degrees as in USDA zone 3. The species lives naturally well north of the arctic circle. Some poor little seedling had to hatch, put down its little baby roots, and then survive in order for them to be there. The things are so tough that @M. Frary can keep them!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
They are among the most cold hardy of trees, down to -40 degrees as in USDA zone 3. The species lives naturally well north of the arctic circle. Some poor little seedling had to hatch, put down its little baby roots, and then survive in order for them to be there. The things are so tough that @M. Frary can keep them!
Yep, totally get what you're saying, but provenance is important, too. This tree came from zone 5ish IL so we know it's hardy in zone 5. Why would providing a little extra protection in WI the winter after it's been dug be a bad thing?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm a fairly firm believer in the "leave it where it lays" method for wintering bonsai, and I agree with @0soyoung that in theory this should be fully capable of surviving the Wisconsin zone 4 winter, I have met Derek. He is young and strong. If moving the tree around the sylvestris presents no significant burden, I would put it in the unheated shelter for the winter. We went from warm to hard freeze very rapidly this year. The trees might not have developed maximum winter hardiness this year.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Even though I am personally not in favor of protecting trees from frost anymore, I see no harm in it. But you're going to need some natural light and consistent cold.
An unheated garage with no windows to me seems worse than putting it outdoors.

I have scots pine seedlings from warmer areas of Europe, and they do take a hard beating from winter. I have local scots pines and they don't give a hoot.

Can someone explain to me how a tree develops true hardiness if it's never exposed to true outdoor winter conditions? I mean, it seems like a vicious circle to me; put the tree in the garage because it can't handle the cold, it doesn't have to handle the cold so it doesn't develop hardiness and because it didn't develop hardiness it's going to have to stay in the garage the next year too. That's a serious non-offensive question by the way, I just don't get how that works. At what point and how do people decide that it's hardy enough?

I made the decision to let my trees die if they can't handle the winter. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with that, and they're not wrong. I don't believe I'm wrong either, in the long run this is going to keep my mind at ease. They either make it, or they don't.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts about keeping it in darkness. Seems like a bad idea for an evergreen.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There is such a thing as "good enough". "A Useful Approximation".

After wintering trees in various settings for over 40 years, If you keep the shelter BELOW 40F or 4C consistently, the trees will show zero negative effects from being wintered in darkness. Metabolic rates are low enough that the average grower will see zero difference. It is a safe and practical way to winter trees. Key is keeping the temperature below 40 F. Above 40 F and metabolism is more rapid, and light would be a good idea.

Top Bottom