Screen Sided Pot Design

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to build some screen sided pots like the Vance Wood design. Does anyone have detailed plans showing how to build these? The angled side design looks to have some complex angles and I was looking for the details. Thanks

Frank

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think that if you poke around over at KOB you might find an article showing some photos and detailing those particular pots. But, I'm not sure why you would build them since you can find pond baskets on Ebay for about $1 each....or go to a dollar store and buy some plastic colanders.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
They certainly look better and last far longer than a pond basket. They also have a bottom that pushes upward, making re-potting a breeze. However, Vance holds a patent on the design.

Will

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. I found Vance Wood's patent using google patent search and the article you mentioned at KOB with a good photo. My concerns about plastic collanders and pond baskets are longevity and strength.

Frank

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, longevity can be an issue. I have had mine for only 2 years. So far so good, but I live in a mild climate...no freezing. By accounts from others I have heard that the pond baskets hold up relatively well, at least compared to plastic colanders which disintegrate in the sun rather quickly.

PeterW

Sapling
Reaction score
Screen sided baskets/pots

Just use your imagination a little. They are not that hard to make. i Made this one to last for two years. Its lasted about 6 months at time of this picture.
Peter

Attachments

• September2008.jpg
    September2008.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 102

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I get seven to ten years out of mine and at that only the bottoms go bad due to the fact that the real good Red Wood heart wood is hard to find.

Attachments

• PLANTERS2jpg.jpg
    PLANTERS2jpg.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Use of imagination required

Hey if this helps,
(hear the banjos in the background, to the movie Deliverence),,,:p
Here's my rendition of a Training Box.
Remember,,, some imagination is required:)
KJ

Attachments

• DCFC0018.jpg
    DCFC0018.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 54

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here are some pictures of my patented design, five screen sides (includes the bottom).

Attachments

• PLANTERS2jpg.jpg
    PLANTERS2jpg.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 26

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You know treekiller, there are some plastic milk crates out there with perforated sides. I bet they'd work pretty well if you used rigid screen and hot melt glue to glue the screens in place. They'd have handles and everything!

milkecrate.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Been There,,, Done That,,, LOL!:p
Thanks for the suggestions.
KJ

Attachments

• DCFC0016.jpg
    DCFC0016.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom