SCREWED UP! New Coarse DE Poll / Thread Please Comment!

I am interested in the Coarse DE and would pay $31 (for about 3.5 gal) Free Shipping

• Nope

• Sure, seems legit.

• Yep, and I would like to pre-order for $29 a box

Results are only viewable after voting.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So I screwed up estimating. I will be able to get the price down to $31 which is competitive with pumice or lava from pretty much anyone and it is a much better product.

So vote on the poll or just answer here if you would pay $31.00 free shipping for a large flat rate box (approx 3.5 gallons). That will save you about $10-$12 a box over akadama.

If you are interested, I will do pre-orders at $29.00.

Captnignit

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's what I got out of one bag of Optisorb

Those are 30 quart containers (7.5 gallons). That means I got roughly 3.75 gallons of 1/8"-1/4" and around 1.5 gallons of 1/12"-1/8" from one bag. That was all for $9.

I just don't see the costs being worth it.

Attachments

• yw4cbIM.jpg
    yw4cbIM.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 117

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Here's what I got out of one bag of Optisorb

Those are 30 quart containers (7.5 gallons). That means I got roughly 3.75 gallons of 1/8"-1/4" and around 1.5 gallons of 1/12"-1/8" from one bag. That was all for $9.

I just don't see the costs being worth it.

Don't believe I asked about Optisorb. This thread is actually about a different product that is larger and high fired. Which after using NAPA and Optisorb, I can tell you a larger, more stable product is needed. Just for your knowledge here some info from Optisorb's technical data sheet. It's a very different product than Optisorb. Optisorb is also kiln dried and not calcined so it is not as stable. I actually have the specs and have posted them before on threads about Optisorb. Hell, I even posted a picture that I took with NAPA, Optisorb and AXIS Coarse. I do appreciate your help, however.

Information from Optisorb TDS for @Captnignit ...
"Kiln-dried, and milled natural Diatomaceous Earth"
+4 MESH.......................................... 3.8%
+6 MESH........................................ 48.3%
+10 MESH...................................... 32.5%
+20 MESH...................................... 13.7%
+30 MESH........................................ 0.1%
+60 MESH........................................ 0.4%
+PAN................................................ < 1%
(100.00%)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Once again here is the breakdown of the Coarse product:

Structure .....................................................................................Calcined
Screen Analysis
3/8” ............................................................................. 0.0%
4 Mesh ........................................................................ 90.0%
6 Mesh ....................................................................... 98.0%
Pore Size Range (microns) .......................................................... 0.1 – 1
pH (10% slurry).............................................................................. 7.0
Hardness (psi) ............................................................................... 160
Density (lb/ft 3) (g/l)
Dry Bulk ...................................................................... 24 385
Water Absorption (Westinghouse) lbs/100 lbs............................... 98

Attachments

• 20171229_220903.jpg
    20171229_220903.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20171229_221122.jpg
    20171229_221122.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20171229_221221.jpg
    20171229_221221.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20171229_221403.jpg
    20171229_221403.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 104

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This is the regular that Ryan was using again, AXIS is calcined Optisorb is not.

Screen Analysis
+ 6 Mesh ....................................................................... 5.0%
+ 10 Mesh ....................................................................... 54.0%
+ 20 Mesh ...................................................................... 87.0%
+ 80 Mesh ...................................................................... 99.8%
- 80 Mesh ...................................................................... 0.2%

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm down for a pre-order bag. Just let me know when and where you want the payment.

Clyde, how does your coarse DE product compare to the AXIS?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in Clyde let me know if it works out!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Do you know if this makes any sort of significant difference?

I do not think that it makes any sort of significant difference as far as its performance as a soil amendment or component. Calcined just means that it was heated to a high temperature to dry, and if needed, cook off any impurities. Seeing how both are diatomaceous earth, the fossilized remains of diatoms, which is silica based, I don't think there are really that many impurities, at least any that would matter as far as a soil component. Maybe it you were using it as a filter media for a manufacturing process it might matter. The particle size looks nice, though, and more uniform than the two commonly used products.

Captnignit

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't believe I asked about Optisorb. This thread is actually about a different product that is larger and high fired. Which after using NAPA and Optisorb, I can tell you a larger, more stable product is needed. Just for your knowledge here some info from Optisorb's technical data sheet. It's a very different product than Optisorb. Optisorb is also kiln dried and not calcined so it is not as stable. I actually have the specs and have posted them before on threads about Optisorb. Hell, I even posted a picture that I took with NAPA, Optisorb and AXIS Coarse. I do appreciate your help, however.

Information from Optisorb TDS for @Captnignit ...
"Kiln-dried, and milled natural Diatomaceous Earth"
+4 MESH.......................................... 3.8%
+6 MESH........................................ 48.3%
+10 MESH...................................... 32.5%
+20 MESH...................................... 13.7%
+30 MESH........................................ 0.1%
+60 MESH........................................ 0.4%
+PAN................................................ < 1%
(100.00%)

You asked about DE, I don't think it's fair to expect people not to compare available DE products. Larger particle sizes are a nice benefit but the only reason I want > 1/4" is for an aeration layer. Calcined vs not would potentially increase my interest if there was some significant difference in performance, but I'm not aware of any atm.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I'm down for a pre-order bag. Just let me know when and where you want the payment.

Clyde, how does your coarse DE product compare to the AXIS?

It is AXIS. Just the folks that make AXIS are not super interested in retail so they were going just let me do it. The problem at this point is logistics. Now if I was in Reno...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
It is AXIS. Just the folks that make AXIS are not super interested in retail so they were going just let me do it. The problem at this point is logistics. Now if I was in Reno...

Their clients are golf courses, state highway departments and the like.

Top Bottom