Sculptcrete for pots?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone tried this product:

for making pots and/or pot construction?

I'm thinking of trying it for a custom pot idea I have. I'm wondering if it would be best to sculpt around a a chicken wire frame? Or some other substrate? Or maybe this stuff is strong enough on it's own?

Just checking to see if anyone has any practical experience using this product. I think I might pick some up an experiment a bit as well.

Thanks!

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It has embedded fibers further reinforcing wouldn't be necessary for reasonable basic shapes

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wonder if objects made with this are frost proof. The label says suitable for garden sculptures and pots, but in what climate?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if objects made with this are frost proof. The label says suitable for garden sculptures and pots, but in what climate?
I was hoping someone with some experience might chime in on that :) I'm thinking sealing it would help frost resistance quite a bit.

I also don't know how much thickness is needed to be strong enough to use as a pot?

I'm probably going to order some to play around with regardless. But if I can learn from others I might get to where I want to be quicker :)

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was hoping someone with some experience might chime in on that :) I'm thinking sealing it would help frost resistance quite a bit.

I also don't know how much thickness is needed to be strong enough to use as a pot?

I'm probably going to order some to play around with regardless. But if I can learn from others I might get to where I want to be quicker :)
Get some and see what you can do with it! I think you’ll find most people makings pots are using actual clay or concrete. So you might not find a lot of input on this specific product. The one thing I would point out is that it hardens very quickly. Bag says the workable time is 30 to 45 minutes. You may get some nice free form shapes or crescent pots maybe but I doubt you’ll be able to make any more technical pots in that time frame. Give it a try though.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been working on cement pots for a couple years. Here's a really helpful blog post on it.

Originally, I used a special light cement mix for pots and it was great to work with- light, could make it runny or clay-like, etc. They no longer make it, huge bummer. But it is not necessary, any fast setting cement (not concrete) will work. You can even add perlite in small quantities to the mix.

For smaller pots, you can carve molds out of blocks of foam or the likes and cast the cement in. Larger pieces you can make chicken wire frames, using less water in the cement mix.

I always recommend adding a dye for color too.

Here is a tease for one I have been working on.

Attachments

• 20210203_211013.jpg
    20210203_211013.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom