SD collecting 2013

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just back from a great collecting trip in SD, this time for Rocky Mountain Junipers. No major deadwood in the area we were, but still had good luck. I'm finishing up a few posts that should hit on the blog site tomorrow. I'm beat!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 470
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 496

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can't wait to see more of these. Nice looking haul!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice! Love collecting stories!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok...got the first of several posted here: http://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/placeholder-south-dakota/

Dave: some of them smell a little catty...maybe the bluer ones? The others smell nice and fresh. A couple of them have foliage very much like kishu, tight and bright. I'll try to post some photos when I'm back on my iPad.

Judy: eatin' Ibuprofen like skittles this week! Doing pretty good, except my right wrist, trying to dig a BIG one out of pure rock. It was about 2' tall, with a trunk about 8" across, gnarly as anything. I dug at it for 30 minutes, got a decent trench around it, but it just wasn't moving. It's still there.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Holy Sh*t Brian! That's one hell of a packed truck!! Wonderful!! I wish I could've joined you guys! It's one of my goals to head out west and do some collecting! I swear I'll do it before I kick the bucket LOL!!

And am curious, why did you leave all the foliage on? Weren't they super heavy? Are all those in your garage yours? How many did Ron get? What kind of survival rate did you have in 2010? Didn't you guys have a battery powered sawzall? Maybe that might have helped in that gorgeous one you had to leave behind?

Anyway, Congratulations! And thanks for sharing as it makes me feel like a kid in a candy store! lol

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's one of my goals to head out west and do some collecting!
You should definitely give it a go. Nothing quite like it!

And am curious, why did you leave all the foliage on?
Last time, the junipers we left foliage on did better, those we pruned back, died.

Weren't they super heavy?
Some were! Though, we weren't ever too far from the truck. Worst was the biggest one I dug, and had to push/pull/drag it up a VERY steep ravine; not sure how I pulled it off.

Are all those in your garage yours?
No, I collected 4; they're all in Ron's garage, and he'll bring mine down in November.

How many did Ron get?

What kind of survival rate did you have in 2010?
12 of 19 made it. I lost both big junipers, Ron's both lived (so we collected in areas with similar soil/conditions). His dogs dug out a couple, and I killed one moving the roots around too much. I think we'll do better this time.

Didn't you guys have a battery powered sawzall?
Nope.

Maybe that might have helped in that gorgeous one you had to leave behind?
Nope; it's all about finding a somewhat contained root ball.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice score. :D Where is the jealous smiley icon?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And all those trees were for how many people?

Why should you or anyone care? He collected them (legally I assume) and will care for them. If you prefer to only have 1 or 10 trees, fine. Please do not insult or accuse the ones who collect (or save) 20 or 50. It is their time and effort.

If it is done illegally or unethically, then have at it, I will even cover your back.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
And all those trees were for how many people?

In SD, you can (and we did) buy up to 10 transplant permits per person per year to legally remove forest products from the National Forest. My buddy and I removed 13 trees in total; 7 short of our legal limit.

Please explain the nature of your inquiry. I am curious, and would rather not make assumptions.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
In response to NYbonsai . . . At 76, I AM a grouch. So pffft.

As to why I asked, I can't imagine why anyone would need that many trees. Seems to me that choosing the best one or maybe two from everything you spot should be ample and you don't need to leave so many holes behind. It just seems a bit piggy.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
so you suggest making a trip, breaking your back for one or two trees and hoping they both survive? Brian already said that he collects trees with the best chance for survival, so they aren't being wasted, are you just worried there won't be any for you when you get there? I guess I don't understand why you feel the need to dictate how many trees a person should have.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In response to NYbonsai . . . At 76, I AM a grouch. So pffft.

As to why I asked, I can't imagine why anyone would need that many trees. Seems to me that choosing the best one or maybe two from everything you spot should be ample and you don't need to leave so many holes behind. It just seems a bit piggy.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but until you make your opinion the law, you're also entitled to sit back and not like it all you want.

How many trees do you have on your benches right now? What would you say to someone you don't know, who has no authority, telling you it's too many, that you're being "a bit piggy", and questioning your environmental consciousness? I know what I'd say (and I'm trying really hard not to), but I'm also a grouch.

I will say this, I'm looking forward to my next trip back out there...oink oink...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow.. What a trip. This is a trip to remember for a life time. Hopefully, you will have all these trees for a life time as well. They all look amazing. I have not checked out the blog yet. Also, " I think were going to need a bigger boat" or in your case, suv.:D

I wish we had even a fraction of the access to that kind material over here.

Rob

Top Bottom