Sea Green Juniper

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20160806_154306.jpg 20160806_154237.jpg 20160806_154326.jpg I picked this up yesterday in the bargin bin at my nursery. I know they dont make good bonsai from what ive been researching, but i couldnt pass that trunk up, although i do have a severe surface root problem.

Rick

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
yeah for sure those roots haha but hey its got a thick trunk so see where it takes you ya know :) would love to see whats beneath all that soil though

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah me too..going to have to wait until early spring to find out. Im just cleaning the trunk up and removing dead growth today. Trying to get some sun in there.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can i cut these surface roots out now or should i wait. Everytime i walk by the garden those just stick out.

Rick

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 113012 View attachment 113011 View attachment 113010 I picked this up yesterday in the bargin bin at my nursery. I know they dont make good bonsai from what ive been researching, but i couldnt pass that trunk up, although i do have a severe surface root problem.

Rick
Don't cut those roots! If you do, you'll certainly risk killing it.

I'm not sure your research is completely accurate. Juniper chinensis 'Sea Green' can make decent bonsai. I've had one for a few years now but never seem to have the time to work it. I promised myself this coming spring I'm going to spend some time with it.

Here's a photo I took a few months after acquiring it. The canopy is much bigger now which is very counterproductive. Seems like I let it grow just long enough to take it all off again. :rolleyes:

Juniperus chinensis Sea Green.JPG

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok thanks Vin. When i repot next year i will try and move them around s they line up next to each other. My research so far has been close to 50/50 so its just about the same for everything on the internet..some people like them, some dont. I seen this tree last weekend and almost bought it then, but decided to research it first. I almost had myself talked out of it and i went there to get some fungicide and went oh what the hell im only out 15.00 if it dont work. Thanks again, i thought those were tap roots

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And very nice tree Vin. That thing has some branching going on. I marked my keeper branches with green zip ties and the ones that will be removes with red ones. I have to get some buds back closer to the trunk. I have removed some of the runners on the keeper branches but kept them for now on the to be removed branches.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Everytime i walk by this tree and look at the trunk i go omg someone gave this tree steroids..lol

Rick

Reactions: Vin

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Owen Reich is going to be at our monthly club meeting tomorrow night. It is a bring your tree to work on session and he will give pointers on your tree. Im taking this tree with me.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah thats why im taking this one tonight. I have others i could take, but those roots are killing me...lol. From what im seeing at meetings and workshops there is alot of teopicals by other members, and that is fine, tropicals are good i just like variety.

Rick

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah thats why im taking this one tonight. I have others i could take, but those roots are killing me...lol. From what im seeing at meetings and workshops there is alot of teopicals by other members, and that is fine, tropicals are good i just like variety.

Rick
Yeah Tropicals are great is that's all your environment will let you grow. I think you can grow this Juniper, it's not a Mugo Pine or Shimpaku, but it sure ain't a Ficus.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have this one and i do have a shimpaku along with some procumbins and JBP all are growing fine. Trick is to purchase them from here and not from a different climate.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well Owen looked at the tree.Recommended right before the next repot i cut off most of the trunk that goes straight up and use the side branch to create a cascade and regrow the apex for the cascade. Told me i would have a very nice tree when completed.

Rick

Reactions: Vin

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would put that tree in a large hamper for a while.
The root ball will "relax" a bit and make your root
work much easier. You already know you have some
to do, why not make it as easy as you can?

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Its going in a grow box next repot..cant do it now.

Rick

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do not know what a hamper is, unless you are talking about a large laundry basket and I have never heard of the term allowing the root ball to relax??

Top Bottom