Sea myrtle/groundsel yamadori

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Prepping this yamadori sea myrtle (Baccharis halimifolia)for collection in a year or so. Made a hard prune a couple months back and it has budded out in a good location. The stump is ant infested and features a substantial hollow as a result. Once out of the ground and after recovery the next step will be carving. The base is about 8 inches wide at the surface.

5D49E21F-3849-4553-9AAA-A3657D4C63CD.jpeg

1B1758E6-FC90-41AE-B5A2-BCF9C5202818.jpeg

Attachments

• BCA88A3D-9017-4F52-827A-76E0C0803E00.jpeg
    BCA88A3D-9017-4F52-827A-76E0C0803E00.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 35

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had to hit the books, nice to see someone using a local native species. And it won't be bothered by salt spray. A good seaside species for bonsai. Aster family too, a group not often seen as bonsai, though some woody chrysanthemums make really cool blooming bonsai. Nice

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I had to hit the books, nice to see someone using a local native species. And it won't be bothered by salt spray. A good seaside species for bonsai. Aster family too, a group not often seen as bonsai, though some woody chrysanthemums make really cool blooming bonsai. Nice

Yeah I’m pretty excited about it. Has tons of character. See Zanthoxtlum clava-herculis. It’s another native here. Although it does have compound leaves, it has pretty cool spines on its trunk. I just cut one back hard and it’s back-budding nicely. Also, when you chew it’s stems, it numbs your mouth. The Native American tribes here used it to treat toothaches.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess i’m wondering what future design you have in mind for this? Seems wider than it is tall. I guess I could see a sort of stumpy clump style if you can get it to bud around the trunk. I’d imagine you can find better specimens of this species?

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I guess i’m wondering what future design you have in mind for this? Seems wider than it is tall. I guess I could see a sort of stumpy clump style if you can get it to bud around the trunk. I’d imagine you can find better specimens of this species?
To be honest, I don’t know. The top of the tree was cracked and most of it had died off so I decided to chop it. The hollow is what drew me to this one in the first place. I imagine I will do some carving and create a “phoenix risen” affect if I only get that one shoot, as if a tree had died long ago in the forest and a sucker rose up and grew amongst its former skeleton. One thing I do know is that it will be ugly. But yes, these shrubs grow prolifically around here in the marsh and many feature nice basal flare. I just chose this one because I guess it spoke to me. I am also not one to follow a canon by any means and I am within my first year of doing this so take that for what it is.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To be honest, I don’t know. The top of the tree was cracked and most of it had died off so I decided to chop it. The hollow is what drew me to this one in the first place. I imagine I will do some carving and create a “phoenix risen” affect if I only get that one shoot, as if a tree had died long ago in the forest and a sucker rose up and grew amongst its former skeleton. One thing I do know is that it will be ugly. But yes, these shrubs grow prolifically around here in the marsh and many feature nice basal flare. I just chose this one because I guess it spoke to me. I am also not one to follow a canon by any means and I am within my first year of doing this so take that for what it is.

I can respect that. I actually have a vision in my head of growing a clump style tree out of a very low cut stump like this. Just like you described a sort of death an rebirth kind of feel. I dig it.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great bark on that specimen. I grew one last year and had mixed results. It grew really well and really fast. The shoots tended to go straight up from the upper surface of the branch. The shoots also stayed soft and delicate for a long time, so that I couldn't really wire them into a more horizontal position. A shame because the tree had a killer trunk with plenty character. Died for no apparent reason halfway through the summer. Good luck with yours.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great bark on that specimen. I grew one last year and had mixed results. It grew really well and really fast. The shoots tended to go straight up from the upper surface of the branch. The shoots also stayed soft and delicate for a long time, so that I couldn't really wire them into a more horizontal position. A shame because the tree had a killer trunk with plenty character. Died for no apparent reason halfway through the summer. Good luck with yours.

Thank you. I’ll be sure to post updates.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
been thinking about trying one myself. The seeding out everywhere makes me a little nervous tho. They are everywhere here in Polk county and kind of a nuisance.

Aye but at least they are native. Up here in St. John’s we’ve got Chinese tallow and Brazilian pepper real bad. I’ve got some of those stages for collection too hah.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Aye but at least they are native. Up here in St. John’s we’ve got Chinese tallow and Brazilian pepper real bad. I’ve got some of those stages for collection too hah.
I just don't want them all over my yard. More round up usage then. :) Tallow's not bad here BP is terrible tho. I'd never want to try one with all that goop in it

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I just don't want them all over my yard. More round up usage then. :) Tallow's not bad here BP is terrible tho. I'd never want to try one with all that goop in it

The tallow actually forms a nice nebari fairly quickly where I see them on the threshold of the marsh. Do you mess around with any natives down there?

Top Bottom