Sea of - My 2 new junipers for the year

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_2893.JPG
2g on the left Sea of Gold (Juniperus x pfitzeriana) 'Monsan' Zone 3-9 full Sun
3g on the right said to be Sea of Green (Juniperus x pfitzeriana) Zone 4-9 full Sun

DSC_2887.JPG DSC_2888.JPG DSC_2889.JPG
Was at a local nursery today and found an inventory of these with no label.
About 10 of them lined up on a cross tie, dry as a bone. Only one stood out and actually looked to be pre-bonsai as is.
The owner was there, and when I asked him how much it was and what kind of juniper it is, he replied it's a Sea Green
was $30, would sell it for $20. Been in this pot 3 years.
DSC_2886.JPG
3g weighed in at 7.75 lbs.

Opened my wallet and pulled my debit card out, and he wasn't set up for plastic, said she'd be back Monday
and I could take the plant and drop off a $20 bill another day. I asked him to hold on, checked my truck, and all I had was 2 books of stamps
($22) He bartered for that and we traded a couple stories, and off went a happy customer that will return.
(He has a 15g Mikawa Yatsubusa about 4' tall that he thinks is a Lions Head he would take $35 for, I'm considering it)

DSC_2890.JPG DSC_2891.JPG
It's displaying both adult and juvenile foliage.

It got 3 rounds of good watering with Super Thrive and ProTekt.
This juniper will remain in this pot untouched save for cleaning this year.
The Sea of Gold...we'll see. It's rather vigorous and I have a fresh order of bonsai soil parts ;)

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a score, gotta love a good deal makes for a happy happy day.:D

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like a score, gotta love a good deal makes for a happy happy day.:D
Indeed yes, thanks Moke! The 2g one from Lowes was $33.
He maybe had 15 similar Gold Tip for $30 in 3g, so big box stores have to pay more employees
more electric, insurance blah blah etc...I be back, but 7.75# on a 3g is negligence :(

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like that 3g. Do you plan to keep it as a clump? I was hiking around yesterday and came across some very old Rocky Mountain Juniper that had a similar multi-trunk structure - quite nice if you ask me!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really like that 3g. Do you plan to keep it as a clump? I was hiking around yesterday and came across some very old Rocky Mountain Juniper that had a similar multi-trunk structure - quite nice if you ask me!
Thanks @Colorado . I don't know.
I do know there'll be some jinning down low for starters but...
DSC_2894.JPG
...(can't tell from pictures) this appears to be 2 trunks that are merging.
The right side here is to be the main trunk for sure. Has great movement out of the soil and up.
Then it curves back over itself, which may be removed and induce taper as well. Will see.
The left, has a couple of upper growing branches, but most of it is lower to the ground.
Much less interesting as is on the left trunk, but does offer some gin and carving practice.
I'll know more about styling it next year when I hack the root system in late August and comb it out
and get it into a pot, I hope.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wish I had more sun for more conifers, but unless a good storm comes though and wipes out the canopies of a few trees I am stuck with just one small sunny square that is full right now. I will be doing a shimpaku workshop late in April with Owen Reich so need to find a place for that.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wish I had more sun for more conifers, but unless a good storm comes though and wipes out the canopies of a few trees I am stuck with just one small sunny square that is full right now. I will be doing a shimpaku workshop late in April with Owen Reich so need to find a place for that.
Oh nice! I've never been to a workshop, would love to got to several.
Tried to get to one with John Romano last Fall for pines but couldn't get time off work.
That's (NEB) where I got my shimpaku that's getting a pot this year.
Been in the same can it was in when I purchased it in '08, bout time huh?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You obviously love Juniper. If you have space in the landscape a stock plant will enable you to create some very cool trees. I started very much like you but over time my self grown stuff replaced the nursery trees. Use the small extensions from the stock plant and twist the crap out of it. A few seasons later air layer off and plant out if you need extra girth.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You obviously love Juniper. If you have space in the landscape a stock plant will enable you to create some very cool trees. I started very much like you but over time my self grown stuff replaced the nursery trees. Use the small extensions from the stock plant and twist the crap out of it. A few seasons later air layer off and plant out if you need extra girth.
Thanks Paul, I did here
However I am not confident with layering, or I just suck at maples.
I attempted my 1st two layers on 2 different types of maples this year, doubt success
mainly due to using the Rooter Pots I think. I’ve added an extension to the downspout
by the robusta.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, I did here
However I am not confident with layering, or I just suck at maples.
I attempted my 1st two layers on 2 different types of maples this year, doubt success
mainly due to using the Rooter Pots I think. I’ve added an extension to the downspout
by the robusta.

I've used the ring bark method, sphagnum moss and bag on the Juniper and it works very well - even better than maples in my experience.

Don't be dispirited if it fails - until you get confident in the process you're not going to have 100% success and these bits you layer off are 'bonuses' anyway.

Top Bottom