SeanS shohin clump

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Here’s the progression of a shohin clump I have on the go. I air layered a cluster of 5 branches from a nursery tree during the 2020/21 growing season.

Here’s the section I layered

7598D3DE-5EB4-4742-84E4-05EBAB38A37E.jpeg

Here’s the tree separated and growing nicely

41C957F4-534D-481F-9376-CE2A670A46AB.jpeg
8800C9D2-E498-4CC4-B4C2-684F941754B4.jpeg

Yesterday I did the initial cut back and wiring. I’ll repot into a bonsai pot in spring as I don’t need massive growth. I’ve left the middle trunk uncut as I want it to thicken slightly. I’ll keep the 2 shoots on the main trunk that will form the apex and top branch short to hopefully avoid too much swelling while I let the the sacrifice grow during the season to thicken the trunk.

2A6B7B75-29F4-414E-815D-D4409469148E.jpeg
102F4031-853B-4552-A82B-7A7857902F5A.jpeg
003286C8-2269-4CCB-A71D-2851C72DD407.jpeg
C4E9CADC-63D2-4DB9-8F11-559480E681B2.jpeg

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm still undecided about the heights of the trunks, the 3 thickest ones are pretty much the same thickness. I hope a season of growth on the middle one will fatten it enough to offset it from the other 2. The height of the middle one will also be roughly 2" taller than the other 2. I can always reduce them more next season if the height/thickness ratios aren't right

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are you going for shohin size?
Yes, height to the red line is around 16cm (from the actual final soil line, not the current planting soil height) with 20cm around the top of the green virtual apex. I think once the main trunk is at 8" there will be enough height difference. What do you think @Pitoon ?

Untitled.png

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, height to the red line is around 16cm (from the actual final soil line, not the current planting soil height) with 20cm around the top of the green virtual apex. I think once the main trunk is at 8" there will be enough height difference. What do you think @Pitoon ?

View attachment 381075
Looks good. I think it's worth a try. If it doesn't look right you can always cut back and start over.

One thing with JM's is that when you cut you should always cut about 1"/ 2.5cm above from the intended node that you want to use. It will start to die back from the cut point. If you cut too close to the node you could loose that node. Once the node buds/leafs out and gets some growth to it you trim back to that.

I really like how you made the instant clump, what's your plan for the nebari?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks good. I think it's worth a try. If it doesn't look right you can always cut back and start over.

One thing with JM's is that when you cut you should always cut about 1"/ 2.5cm above from the intended node that you want to use. It will start to die back from the cut point. If you cut too close to the node you could loose that node. Once the node buds/leafs out and gets some growth to it you trim back to that.

I really like how you made the instant clump, what's your plan for the nebari?

I had cut much higher above the nodes, but a few shiners later and I was hacking away the little stubs! :oops: Holding thumbs I won't get too much die back and lose the buds.
I'll repot onto a board into a shallow container in spring, probably straight into a 7" bonsai pot.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had cut much higher above the nodes, but a few shiners later and I was hacking away the little stubs! :oops: Holding thumbs I won't get too much die back and lose the buds.
I'll repot onto a board into a shallow container in spring, probably straight into a 7" bonsai pot.
I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like next year.

Top Bottom