Searching for "Maples for bonsai" article from ABS

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In July 2016, I found an amazing article called "Maples for bonsai" on the American Bonsai Society website. I bookmarked it and read it over a dozen times. It had a list of 40 different Maple species, listing each of them as either good for small bonsai, good for medium bonsai, good for large bonsai, or not good for bonsai. (based on leaf size and internode length I assume) As well as several paragraphs about Maples as bonsai.

Recently, I wanted to read that article again and the url http://absbonsai.org/maples-bonsai gives a "page not found." I contacted the ABS and the response I got was, "That must be a really old bookmark. The ABS has not had that page all the years that I have been their webmaster."

I don't know if it was written by a member of the ABS or if it was an excerpt from a book or article from a magazine. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Does anyone know where I might find a list of different Maple species and how well they work for bonsai?

I remember that Trident and Amur were listed as good for small bonsai, Japanese and Field were listed as good for medium bonsai, and Red was listed as good for large bonsai. I remember referencing that list and learning that Sugar and Silver aren't appropriate for bonsai. But there are soooo many other species of maple that were on that list that I'd love to be able to reference again if I could find that list again.

Thanks much!

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's it!! Thanks so much. I'm going to copy and paste it to save to my computer.

Top Bottom