Season Change Questions

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I kept a pomegranate growing for over 35 years, then accidentally killed it. I have wintered it as a tropical, bringing it in without it ever experiencing a frost. This worked great for 20 years. Then I was convinced they need to go dormant, so I began leaving it out to get frosted. A couple frosts to +27 F were no problem. I'm pretty sure +25 F was no problem. I would then move the leafless tree to my well house, which stays between 32 F and 40F (0 C to +4 C ). No matter, usually by late Feb or early March the pomegranate would begin growing with spring vigor. This was always early, my last frost is usually May 1. So it would get the under lights, then the "in and out dance".

I lost the pomegranate when it was forgotten and the temp dipped to 19 F or -7 C. The pot froze solid. The top of the tree tried to grow in spring, but the roots were dead. Planted in the ground, the 19 F likely would not have been a problem if the roots had not frozen.

I liked the vigor of the spring burst of growth when treated as a deciduous. The danger is killing it by not protecting it soon enough. The 20 years of not allowing it to experience a frost showed me it does fine when treated as a tropical or subtropical.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So if your protected plants are in garage, do you bring it outside every morning for sun then bring it back in at night? Would regular lights work or will I need some sort of grow light? How about a t5 or some LED fish tank lights?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it's really asleep, there is no need for light. But are you sure a pomegranate can't be left outdoors, perhaps with the pot buried, in your area?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So if your protected plants are in garage, do you bring it outside every morning for sun then bring it back in at night? Would regular lights work or will I need some sort of grow light? How about a t5 or some LED fish tank lights?

Which trees are you asking about? The ficus and BRT shouldn't go below 50 degrees (especially the BRT). They are tropical so should stay inside if temperatures are below that. You'll need at least full spectrum lights or grow lights.

If you're asking about the pomegranate, if it's dormant then no it doesn't need light. If treating like a tropical then probably.

Top Bottom