Seasonal problem prevention

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On one of the FB groups I saw Adair mention that he put the Infuse fungicide on his pines as prevention against needle cast and it got me to thinking about a seasonal plan for preventing problems. I looked under the resources tab and couldn't find one. Does one exist? What do you do seasonally to prevent problems...by species, season, etc?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've been following Adair's advise and routinely apply Clearys granular to my JBP, JRP- to prevent needle cast-, and my Rocky Mountain Junipers- to prevent cedar/apple rust... this is the first year since my first summer here in GA where I don't have multiple rust galls on my trees. I also spray daconil and copper, alternating each every few weeks while the buds are extending and needles pushing. All my junipers get sprayed with Sultan miticide... this stuff has been a game changer for me and fighting spider mites. Finally, I try to use a horticultural oil dormant spray spring and fall... failed badly this past year due to Mother Nature's fickleness.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks like your focus on prevention is junipers and pines. How about deciduous? Is Clearys similar to infuse?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not familiar with infuse so can't say. I actually have loads of deciduous trees but don't have nearly as many pest issues with them. My Japanese maples will get aphids every spring but I'll blast them off with water or spray as needed with a pyrethrin based pesticide. I did apply some Clearys to my 2 hawthorns to see if it reduces cedar/apple rust lesions that afflict them every summer... stay tuned.

Top Bottom