Second anniversary. Horticultural and financial report

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a few days it will be two years since I started this hobby.

My bonsai garden , november 2020, I had one bonsai (a chinese elm inside home)
IMG_20200609_185809.jpg
and september 2022
IMG_20220817_192254.jpg

So I think it could be a good excercise to write down some of my conclusions.

On the horticultural side, my experience has been very pleasent. I have lost very few of the projects I've been working on, and everything is thriving (portfolio with some of my trees). There are some particular reasons for what, in my point of view, has been a successful experience (for someone without any previous experience in bonsai, and very poor horticultural experience)
- First and likely the most important: my climate. I live in the outskirts of a city claimed to have the "best wheather in the world" in a human sense (link).
This means no frosts (ever), no extreme heat, no hurricanes, ..... a very pleasent temperature year round. This has been key, as I have been forgiven all my horticultural sins (repotting and trimming roots almost whenever I want, no wintering,.....almost complete freedom to perform any operation at any time of the year). And so, I feel confident to be able to grow a great percentage of tree species I like
- My soil and watering choices. As I stated in this thread , I have been using a mix of akadama and lava in almost all my trees, and watering with rain collected water. I know this is not the best soil mix for fast growing my trees, but it's so easy to avoid under and over watering that I can be always safely watering with no issues. Also akadama doesn´t degrade in my climate and its cheap and readly avalaible. I've been fertilizing using the most avalaible fertilizers (liquid, little balls, or whatever presentation ....). No brands, no special compositions. Also I've been using some micronutrients suplements (mostly for my bouganvilleas).
I've been educating myself in the horticultural side of the hobby (free resources in the internet), but I must admit this is my weaker skill. So sometimes, when I read about the horticultural problems others have to face and I can avoid, I feel like cheating.

On the financial side, I made a report of the first year here . There I exposed the expenses of everything necessary to develope my bonsai garden.
In this second year, as my bonsai garden has increased , obviously I haven´t had to buy tools, and the bench structure as the watering system hasn´t changed, but I have had to invest in some tables(80$), pots (100$), soil (60$), fertilizers (20$).... Also I've purchased trees (about 200$). It's not been as expensive as the first year (I have now about 80 trees in different stages...)

But overall, my conclusion is, that I have found a lot of fun and happiness, and even some sort of existencial reason. I'm very thankful to this hobby and the people around it.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very nice! I would have thought you spent more into the thousands with that collection!

I can't get over how much your area looks exactly like where I live in southern CA. We also have nice weather all year.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We are thankful for you Fidur! You have beautiful trees, freely share your beautiful garden and are just a beautiful person in general. This forum is definitely better with you here and I’m sure I’m not the only one who is glad you decided to stay 😉
PS…. I think someone needs to secretly send you some bald cypress seeds😁

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice work man. The amount of thought and detail you put into your plants does not go unnoticed.

But that’s not the point is it? I can tell you find great fulfillment in the hobby.
Still, 2 years in and you have a great collection!
Thanks for sharing.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
But overall, my conclusion is, that I have found a lot of fun and happiness, and even some sort of existencial reason. I'm very thankful to this hobby and the people around it.
And that's the important thing now isn't it, whether we are first year newbies or seasoned veterans with show quality trees. You have come far in just two years and I am VERY jealous of your "perfect" weather!!

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I clicked on your best weather link because I couldn't believe that anywhere on earth had better weather for humans than where I live. I was close! Second isn't so bad. Thanks for sharing.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Beautiful... just beautiful...

... I started to do my quick and dirty math and even though my collection is nowhere near my numbers somehow don't want to round to what you listed 🤣

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fidur, we never met but I'm very happy to have seen you fight some inner demons and that you came out as the winner. You sound a lot happier lately!
How's the dog doing?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fidur, we never met but I'm very happy to have seen you fight some inner demons and that you came out as the winner. You sound a lot happier lately!
How's the dog doing?
My dog has been changing my world.
She is always busy keeping rodents away from my trees and giving me no time for "demons";)...

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great report. In my 2 years of bonsai, horticultural knowledge has been my main focus, for no other reason than I need to keep my trees alive long enough to work on them. As I start to get the hang of caring for my trees, I am realizing that I am lost on styling and having troubles envisioning how a particular tree will progress based on the work done. I have a pretty good record of keeping trees alive at this point, but I tend to prune them and then I am unsure if they are heading in the right direction or not.
My love of the hobby depends on the day. I usually share this sentiment, but there are times I ask myself "what the hell are you doing with your time/money?" and others when I am generally discouraged with my progress and just want to throw the trees in a shredder. I've learned to step away from the trees until the feelings pass.

I've been encouraged by visitors to the garden. Guys you would never imagine would be interested in little trees ask me to discuss the process for extended periods (teaching has really helped my learning). Then they catch the bug and invite me to airlayer their lawn maples provided I take one for them as well. My kids and their friends are also surprisingly intrigued and want to know more - they then go to school and the science teacher lets them teach the class about how trees function. Watching a 9 year old describe the chemical process of photosynthesis is hysterical.

Top Bottom