Second Firing is in the Books

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I got into ceramics and building pots earlier in 2021, then moved back across the country putting a pause on a lot of things. I have gotten back on the ceramics horse and just got my second batch of pots fired. These are slab built ovals and one rectangle, hand shaped, most falling in the 9”x 7” to 10”x 8” range. Fewer wonks and wobbles than the first batch, and hopefully less in the next, which is almost ready for bisque firing 😁 I’m planning on putting these on the auction sites if anyone is interested. More pics available on request.
3951B7A1-7B52-4163-A3FE-ED16052521CE.jpegE4A0860A-0605-4C33-97F3-B325FB30A74F.jpeg1666B08E-BB77-4E25-908A-D8832BCA49A2.jpeg1491C1B4-A227-4CF0-9BD6-DAEC2C4248CB.jpeg3CC77CD5-B99E-43BA-9931-9AF6F478B6E0.jpeg3EE20584-280E-4528-A5BE-0626730B9195.jpeg86C9972A-276F-4562-BC0A-AE19B2186EFA.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice looking work!

If i may offer some advice...

You say these are “less wonky/warpy”.. and I know these particulars can take time and practice to “iron out”..

but in the MEANTIME.. I advise only distributing your “Tops”... like if it has ANY wonk/warp or portion that you are not satisfied with, don’t sell it..
Only put out pieces you are truly satisfied with... your name... is everything.

Keep it up!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice looking work!

If i may offer some advice...

You say these are “less wonky/warpy”.. and I know these particulars can take time and practice to “iron out”..

but in the MEANTIME.. I advise only distributing your “Tops”... like if it has ANY wonk/warp or portion that you are not satisfied with, don’t sell it..
Only put out pieces you are truly satisfied with... your name... is everything.

Keep it up!
I’m torn on this one at the moment. While each batch has shown good improvement, I won’t likely be making show worthy pots for a good while still. In the meantime, the pots I’m learning on are good for training purposes, nice enough to hold trees in back yards, and are of better use holding someone’s tree than taking up space in my garage. I want my reputation in ceramics to be synonymous with high quality, and I feel what I’m making is high quality in relation to the time I’ve been at this, but certainly not as good as what I expect to make next. My hope is to be more and more discerning with what I sell as my work warrants more fine consideration.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I feel what I’m making is high quality in relation to the time I’ve been at this,
While I, also, feel this is true of your work.. you must remember that these words mean NOTHING.. coming from YOUR mouth. I know it DID just come from mine, so you ARE correct.. just trying to help you. Because this (Bonsai Ceramics) is SUCH a specialized field... you ARE always looking for NEW customers.. but establishing a larger and larger base of extremely satisfied “regulars”, is far more important to establishing yourself as a “Name” in this world. Getting your work OUT there.. for others to hold/experience, as well as “Spread” your “Name”.
(Fast Forward 0-100 years)
As your “Name” improves, so will your comfort, so will your skill... So you feel you can start charging more, because your skill/comfort support “It” and your “Name” backs it up,your work doesn’t disappoint..

This is, at least, my aim.

I feel your work Is uniquely great, already, and will only improve on an ever impressing curve AS you keep throwing.

🤓

(Says the guy with a REALLY small “Name”... but I worked HARD for it.)🤣🤣

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
While I, also, feel this is true of your work.. you must remember that these words mean NOTHING.. coming from YOUR mouth. I know it DID just come from mine, so you ARE correct.. just trying to help you. Because this (Bonsai Ceramics) is SUCH a specialized field... you ARE always looking for NEW customers.. but establishing a larger and larger base of extremely satisfied “regulars”, is far more important to establishing yourself as a “Name” in this world. Getting your work OUT there.. for others to hold/experience, as well as “Spread” your “Name”.
(Fast Forward 0-100 years)
As your “Name” improves, so will your comfort, so will your skill... So you feel you can start charging more, because your skill/comfort support “It” and your “Name” backs it up,your work doesn’t disappoint..

This is, at least, my aim.

I feel your work Is uniquely great, already, and will only improve on an ever impressing curve AS you keep throwing.

🤓

(Says the guy with a REALLY small “Name”... but I worked HARD for it.)🤣🤣
I really appreciate your input. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some good points to think over.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That still doesn't answer the question of what's to be done with the pots he has.
I know a guy. ;)

But really, if the time and expense put into these first pieces is such that he finds it difficult to absorb the costs, there must be something in the pottery world that standard accepted practice allows.
My first thought was donate them somewhere, and claim it on your taxes, but that doesn't give you the feed back you need to progress, nor does alleviate and immediate financial strain.

So, do we have other ideas?
Roadside mallsai stand maybe?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those pots would definitely sell.. that’s not entirely what I mean.

buuut there’s an annoying loud guy, from the party-planning committee, talks like “Escanaba in the moonlight”, always saying that we need more contest/drawing prizes... even offers up a lot of his own work IN THIS EXACT manner we are speaking... 🤓🤣🤣

Still.. try to sell your “bests”.. get a feel for the market.

Just if, when you look at it, when you hold the piece.. If you have any doubts.. trust yourself.

If it’s weird.. sagged.. doesn’t sit right... keep it.. OOOOR donate it to a contest!!

I hear, that loud guy is planning something for right after the holidays.. a drawing.. with up to three entries per person..

Entry criteria; “Ridiculous Self-Photograph”..
🤓

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That still doesn't answer the question of what's to be done with the pots he has.
I know a guy. ;)

But really, if the time and expense put into these first pieces is such that he finds it difficult to absorb the costs, there must be something in the pottery world that standard accepted practice allows.
My first thought was donate them somewhere, and claim it on your taxes, but that doesn't give you the feed back you need to progress, nor does alleviate and immediate financial strain.

So, do we have other ideas?
Roadside mallsai stand maybe?

Places like etsy where you can sell "commoner" product under a shop name comes to mind. Get's product out there to a mass audience that may not even be bonsai people. It can be entirely or partially pseudonym so doesn't weigh on your name as your skills grow.

Once skills exceed the low cost marketplace, you can rebrand and retarget your clientele...

You are feeding "the machine"...but that may be worth it while breaking in...depends on your tolerance...

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I
Places like etsy where you can sell "commoner" product under a shop name comes to mind. Get's product out there to a mass audience that may not even be bonsai people. It can be entirely or partially pseudonym so doesn't weigh on your name as your skills grow.

Once skills exceed the low cost marketplace, you can rebrand and retarget your clientele...

You are feeding "the machine"...but that may be worth it while breaking in...depends on your tolerance...
It may be possible to have two shops, one for the good stuff, one for the less good stuff.
I'm not sure if Etsy has a policy on that.

HardBall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In the meantime, the pots I’m learning on are good for training purposes, nice enough to hold trees in back yards, and are of better use holding someone’s tree than taking up space in my garage.
I'm your huckleberry! Two on the way to my backyard. Strangely, I saw this thread last week but didn't realize I was buying these. LOL

By the way, a lot of my really expensive pots wobble.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I make a lot of bowls, platters and planters that I will not sell online, for the reasons stated above. I take them to the flea market and sell them as seconds. Same with bonsai pots except I plant them. I have half a dozen now that I will plant next spring and take to the flea market. I do well at the market in terms of getting my cost plus out of them and I always clearly state that they were not ready for prime time according to my standards.
On the other hand, I have used several for target practice. It is immensely satisfying.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
More CLAY!
;)
I’ve got a lot of work done and ready to fire but I don’t own a kiln, so I’m waiting on the artist who I rent kiln space from to be ready to fire. It’s super frustrating not having any control over the firing schedule, but hopefully I can change that before long. Here are two that I put together this weekend. Just a little more cleanup and punching in drainage and tie down holes before they’re done and ready for bisque firing.
B9B40769-351C-4F76-ABA0-D3D3A5728DEF.jpeg

Top Bottom