Second flush on European Beech

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm getting a really nice second flush on my European Beech and a lot of backbudding on the branches and trunk. Do you let this flush run the rest of the season or pinch them back to the first set of leaves?

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where is the picture? I don’t know the answer. I believe what matters most is what you are trying to accomplish. As well as how healthy the tree is.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The reason a photo is necessary is that it all depends upon how many leaves the tree has. You trim a really full tree differently than a barren tree, all having a little something to do with what someone has been doing, -history. Almost all questions should be accompanied by a photo, if any poster wants a well-considered set of opinions.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The reason a photo is necessary is that it all depends upon how many leaves the tree has. You trim a really full tree differently than a barren tree, all having a little something to do with what someone has been doing, -history. Almost all questions should be accompanied by a photo, if any poster wants a well-considered set of opinions.
I hear you and trust me, if I could load pics you would be sick of seeing my pics. Not that they are ugly pics that might turn your stomach, there'd be so many you'd grew weary of seeing them. Suffice it to say I can't. Not on this forum or any of the Facebook groups I associate with or on Facebook. I have ordered a Ryoko Wi-Fi router that is specifically designed to give you service in the remotest location. I'm about three miles past remote, so far that when you pass my place you're heading back towards civilization, so I'm going to give it a good test and if it works like they claim, oh boy! I've got a backlog of pics to throw at you!
In regards to the tree. I've had it about ten years, acquired as a big nursery tree in one of those 50qt pots. I chopped it back to some low live limbs and cleaned away all the clay ball the second year and planted that in a large grow box with nothing but turface. The tree grew well for seven years, always producing a good flush in the spring, but never a second flush.
Last year I repotted the tree from the big box into a nice ceramic pot, exchanging the turface out for 1/4" pumice. It did well through last season and this year I'm seeing a second flush for the first time. I would venture that this is a sign of a very happy Beech. I pinched the new shoots back to two leaves as soon as I could get a hold of them. Then I cut any I missed as they popped up. I'm feeding original Sumo cakes (6:7:6) throughout the season.
BTW fwiw, I can share pics on the phone with messages or on Messenger if you're on Facebook. PM a phone number or friends request on Facebook.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm getting a really nice second flush on my European Beech and a lot of backbudding on the branches and trunk. Do you let this flush run the rest of the season or pinch them back to the first set of leaves?
Let it run and trim to taste for shape after the leaves fall to allow the tree to store energy for next year.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, this is also one of those trees that doesn't drop its leaves in fall. A nice yellow and then brown and they stay put until spring leaf out or until I get tired of seeing them and clip them off.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
there’s a difference between second flush and new leaves just on their own from dormant buds

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
there’s a difference between second flush and new leaves just on their own from dormant buds
For beeches I only see clear phases in growth, where one push of growth stops growing and then turns dark, glossy. All of the sudden most branches start growing again: A second flush.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hear you and trust me, if I could load pics you would be sick of seeing my pics. Not that they are ugly pics that might turn your stomach, there'd be so many you'd grew weary of seeing them. Suffice it to say I can't. Not on this forum or any of the Facebook groups I associate with or on Facebook. I have ordered a Ryoko Wi-Fi router that is specifically designed to give you service in the remotest location. I'm about three miles past remote, so far that when you pass my place you're heading back towards civilization, so I'm going to give it a good test and if it works like they claim, oh boy! I've got a backlog of pics to throw at you!
In regards to the tree. I've had it about ten years, acquired as a big nursery tree in one of those 50qt pots. I chopped it back to some low live limbs and cleaned away all the clay ball the second year and planted that in a large grow box with nothing but turface. The tree grew well for seven years, always producing a good flush in the spring, but never a second flush.
Last year I repotted the tree from the big box into a nice ceramic pot, exchanging the turface out for 1/4" pumice. It did well through last season and this year I'm seeing a second flush for the first time. I would venture that this is a sign of a very happy Beech. I pinched the new shoots back to two leaves as soon as I could get a hold of them. Then I cut any I missed as they popped up. I'm feeding original Sumo cakes (6:7:6) throughout the season.
BTW fwiw, I can share pics on the phone with messages or on Messenger if you're on Facebook. PM a phone number or friends request on Facebook.
McDonald’s has WiFi. Don’t think anyone here would judge your photos more than the lack there of.

Regardless, a stressed plant can show significant activity, even as a last ditch effort. Not saying this is the case, only consideration.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For beeches I only see clear phases in growth, where one push of growth stops growing and then turns dark, glossy. All of the sudden most branches start growing again: A second flush.
I suppose I am considering a second flush as from cutting branches and signaling dormant buds to multiply or pinching the inner buds before they truly leaf out.

If a second flush is a beech just pushing additional new leaves much later than the initial set I have an American beech that does that without pruning or special/specific beech-bud selection/removal…as apposed to almost all other deciduous I work with that will flush again and often smaller leaves and ramifications following “work”

…..the definition I guess is what I’m learning. I thought any plant that is healthy and succeeding would/could grow new leaves, even below apical meristems if light and resources present, never thought of this as second flush of leaves..

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in mind that keeping the leaves reduces wind & frost damage to the buds, and sun damage to the bark.
The tree goes into a protected storage area for the winter. I don't usually mess with it until getting close to spring and I'm bored with winter and need some distraction.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
McDonald’s has WiFi. Don’t think anyone here would judge your photos more than the lack there of.

Regardless, a stressed plant can show significant activity, even as a last ditch effort. Not saying this is the case, only consideration.
Thanks for the tip. It's a forty-five mile round trip to the nearest McDonald's.
I'm certain the tree is not stressing.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
If you can post this topic and message you are also able to upload a picture with it so I don't see the problem. :rolleyes:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, so what is your excuse then for not posting pictures! Go get those mgnuggets and post pictures. It is only an hours drive 😜
Okay, but the first five miles is rough and rugged four wheel drive, takes 45 minutes just to get off the mountain, then fifteen miles into town. That's about three hours out of a very busy day. My wife makes the runs, I stay at home and do bonsai stuff. I'm hoping the router I'm getting will serve the purpose. Mauma by Ryoko supposed to be in shipping now so you'll either see pics or I'll be one pissed off hombre!

Top Bottom