Second flush on single flush?

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Does anyone know what this is? It's on a Scots pine which is a single fish short needle pine. I have seen a second flush on shore pines before but it didn't look like this

Attachments

• 20200529_175338.jpg
    20200529_175338.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 57

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does anyone know what this is? It's on a Scots pine which is a single fish short needle pine. I have seen a second flush on shore pines before but it didn't look like this
Looks like a bud. It might grow out to make a second flush, it might not.

a “single flush” can grow a second flush, just not reliably.I’ve had JWP put out second flushes. It’s risky to decandle one. It might work. It might not.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just looking at similar Growth today.

It seems a response between what pruning too much will do, and new buds.

Pruned too late and too early.

Earlier and that grows into curly needled "desperation" growth.

Later and that's a solid next year bud.

More info?

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dang, that is a blue one! Do you know the name of the cultivar?

Scots can double flush if you cut the shoots before they're hardened off. That's a stress response and I think I can explain it: The plant produces a huge bunch of auxins that it uses to elongate shoots and needles. It stores that stuff until it's needed, ideally when producing this years growth. If you cut a bunch of that growth off, there's still enough auxin left to produce new shoots. Since it's not going to the new shoots anymore, buds on the ends of branches are getting all of it and if the levels are high enough, you'll get a second flush.
A couple years ago a lot of people seemed to do that trick. I remember a thread about it. If memory serves me right @M. Frary told me that it's not something you want for the longer term because it's both unreliable as well as a waste of good energy.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Wires_Guy_wires

This is a Pinus sylvestris 'beacon hill'
I pinched candles on him but I didn't cut back until after I saw this oddity.

Like @sorce says the needles are curly and weird. I don't know if I should keep it or lop the mutant off

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks like juvenile foliage. I wouldn't cut it off. It'll produce regular needles once those juveniles have served their purpose.

I would wait until later in the season next year, before cutting any shoots. This year I'm going for fall, per directions of Peter Warren (if memory serves me right). He did a live stream about scots pine not long ago, which was pretty informative. A bit messy though.. But informative none the less.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If memory serves me right @M. Frary told me that it's not something you want for the longer term because it's both unreliable as well as a waste of good energy
Your memory serves you right.
You might get away with it once and if your winter is later.
Going into winter trees need to be able to store as much as they can.
Remember as buds are setting and after the tree is wanting to grow roots also. If you take away from that they may have a hard time next spring or may not wake up at all.
Not everyone has brutal winters but I believe it's best to be safer than sorrier.

Top Bottom