second style itoigawa shimpaku

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
first pics. arrival . dec/10 front/back. the foliage is too thick and lush for a deadwood tree. first style/reduction. jan/11. the foliage is reduced 1/3. the tree fertilized and allowed to recover.
see next for second style.

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC07978.jpg
    DSC07978.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC07788.jpg
    DSC07788.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC07984.jpg
    DSC07984.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC07983.jpg
    DSC07983.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 145

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
second style (cont)

the tree is growing strongly again. time for the second work. more branch removal/foliage thinning opens up the canopy. the back becomes the front. some of the original jin are either removed or shortened and made thinner to be compatible with the new look. the shari was lightly shaped to enhance the image of the new front. most of the wire was removed. after the tree recovers, the foliage will be rewired and shaped so the outline of the top is sharp and the branches are repositioned for the new front.

sam

Attachments

• DSC08320.jpg
    DSC08320.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC08318.jpg
    DSC08318.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC08300.jpg
    DSC08300.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is very nice sam. I think I like more of a rounded top similar to what you have now, instead of more pointy.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm going to wire and position the branches, see how it looks, then decide.

best wishes, sam

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this tree? Did you buy it from a nursery, or did you collect it? It looks like it's been grown for bonsai, so I'm assuming a nursery, but you never know :)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
O man how come I can never seem to find the drool button.:D

If wanted my opinion on the apex is to have it rounded, I know a helmet, but that is what a mature tree will have. Pointy = young.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
O man how come I can never seem to find the drool button.:D

If wanted my opinion on the apex is to have it rounded, I know a helmet, but that is what a mature tree will have. Pointy = young.

The idea, as I understand it, of making Juniper Bonsai is to simulate old trees battered by time, weather, and the elements of land slides, snow, and lightning strikes. Old trees do not have pointy apexes; they are rounded, worn down and battered.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
thanks for the responses, guys. clarificationon one point. when I earlier said I'd rewire the canopy to make the top look sharp, I meant the wiring and shaping would define and separate the foliage pads-not create a pointy apex.

axxon: this tree is a japanese import from nakanishi chinshoen nursery in Takamatsu.

best wishes, sam

Last edited:
Top Bottom