Securing tree to a bench

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I remember seeing a thread about securing trees to a bench, but I couldn't find it. Could someone show me a link or post photos of your benches. Up until now, I have had to put the lighter pots on the ground when it gets windy. We have a new puppy coming in a few weeks._DSF7038.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wire them to the bench with bonsai wire. Not tightly, just looped around the base of the trunk enough so that they can't get away in a wind. They can rock a little and the wire doesn't leave marks as long as the tree can move a little. The forces are not hurricane strength winds. I use the same wires every year on trees with big canopies and light pots...
Shimpaku wired to bench 3.JPG
Shimpaku wired to bench 2.JPG
Shimpaku wired to bench 1.JPG
Not rocket science, not pretty, on/off in one minute.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For the wind, I rely on gravity, crossed fingers and never leaving my house. For the puppy, I rely on my wife's assurance that she will keep an eye on him when she lets him outside. Both of those have proven disastrous this year. I'm going to do as @Forsoothe! recommends. That's a great idea. I've been meaning to look into this and was glad to see this posting.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have pictures but bungie cords work well if you have a way to attach them.

Easier to move them than wire if you need to

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a different (easier) version of this knot that I've been using a lot lately, it could be used for this purpose using the free twine from Home Depot.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "easier" one.

More.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I had to buy something.

Capture+_2021-07-11-19-30-14.png

They lock into themselves without the hassles of regular bungee cords.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one was insanely light at the bottom and the canopy proved to be too good of a sail. After emergency re-pot a couple weeks ago (cleanup on aisle 12), I built this embarrassing contraption. (Tray is screwed to pot; pot and tray wired to boards.) Why am I sharing this publicly??IMG_1068.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This one was insanely light at the bottom and the canopy proved to be too good of a sail. After emergency re-pot a couple weeks ago (cleanup on aisle 12), I built this embarrassing contraption. (Tray is screwed to pot; pot and tray wired to boards.) Why am I sharing this publicly??View attachment 385950

If it works, nothing to be ashamed of

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So far I had only one tree fall down from my bench, a bald cypress, the one on the left. Since then I drilled 3 small holes and wired them in a triangular shape. I am using stainless wire. The same wire I use for guy wire. I use stainless safety wire, I don't know the grade, but most be at least 304 or better as I have never seen any tarnish on it, and I have use it on lures for salt water fishing as well. I'll try to get a better picture today with the wire in. The good thing about stainless is that as it won't rust or oxidize you can use it (and re-use it) everywhere. I thought about using bungee cord or paracord, but here in Texas, those will die within a growing season.

BC tray1.JPG

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I loop a piece of wire through the ones I use to tie the tree in where they come out the bottom of the pot. Then I run that wire through the slats in my benchtops and tie it off to a screw on the bottom. That way unlike bungees, it is completely hidden, doesn’t chance marking the trunk or roots, doesn’t disturb moss, and can be easily loosened to move the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I loop a piece of wire through the ones I use to tie the tree in where they come out the bottom of the pot.
That's actually pretty damn brilliant. If you do it right, it would be a fairly efficient effort. I'm going to name this technique the "Cofga" or maybe the "Modified Forsoothe!" Preferences anyone?

Top Bottom