Securing Young Trees

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I ran into a problem earlier this spring when planting young trees. First my goal was to get at least 4 or more lateral roots from the same level, this is where I worked the roots from, future nebari. Since these are 2 year old trees the roots were very thin and fragile. Wiring them into the pot seemed to really dig into the tender roots, so I only did one this way. The rest I tied into the pot by stringing 4 way twice around the pots. What are some other options for future reference? The string works, but it does not seem very secure liking wiring the roots to the pot. Thank you!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could put any form of pads upon the basal flare, poke holes through the top side of the pot so you can get a # of wires around the base above the soil. Pool noodle material.

Above designable keeper material is a second best, cause the higher you go the more leverage you create that could f things up if it falls, but since it doesn't matter if you scar an unkept piece, you can go ham.
Though you will always end up with higher wires in the way of work, even thought work.

It's quite the double edged sword of, what is the future looking like?
What are you comfortable with?
And what do you have in the junk drawer?

"Don't mind ugly", is a must here or you will never find true beauty.

Rocks work.
Multiples work, cull the weak, only the strong will have put out the roots to hold itself and be worth working anyway.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This may or may not help currently, but see post #10 by BVF Here
Follow his link. If not this project, eventually will be helpful.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've never bothered wiring young trees into pots. Maybe less windy here but I've rarely had one tip out of the soil. Larger trees may need wiring because the added weight and more leaves can catch more wind but trees with thin roots should not have any problem. New roots grow quite quick and will hold the tree in a nursery pot no problem after just a couple of weeks.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sometimes I use a piece of string to tie a young tree in it's pot.
Wrap the string around the trunk and the pot to secure the tree.
That’s what I did, but not as secure as I thought. At this point I will just plant in the future and let the strong survive.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

That is what I do, even with most deciduous trees. Just make sure you don't tighten the wire too much in trees with soft bark. Keep an eye for the wire to start digging and loosen up a little.

Top Bottom