Security cameras, fake or real?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was going to order a security camera system now that I'm in LA but I'm thinking maybe its useless except as a detergent? Apparently even if you catch a person on tape stealing your trees you can't catch them unless they have a police record or you know them. So now I'm thinking why not buy a realistic but fake security camera for much less money? After all it will most likely only be a detergent right? Thoughts?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know they say HD, but so are what stores use, and those are CRAP. There is no way to ID anyone unless they put their ugly mug right in front of the camera. The resolution is terrible. Hard to understand when the military has cameras that can tell what's on your business card from a mile away...when the card is IN YOUR WALLET! OK, that part is a stretch, but the cameras are not. I'd go for the fake.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know they say HD, but so are what stores use, and those are CRAP. There is no way to ID anyone unless they put their ugly mug right in front of the camera. The resolution is terrible. Hard to understand when the military has cameras that can tell what's on your business card from a mile away...when the card is IN YOUR WALLET! OK, that part is a stretch, but the cameras are not. I'd go for the fake.

Did you play the sample videos (day and night) on that link?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone ever caught someone the police recognize with their camera? That's what I'm most curious about.

The police here have on several occasions.

Question is if they will give a plant thief enough attention. I honestly think most likely not.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get a big dawg....Up front cost are pretty cheap and maintenance fees are not that bad....Plus they will play frisbee with you...I doubt anyone would even dare to enter my fenced in area to take a bonsai or restored coke machine. Briggs doesn't like strangers at all unless they are with me.

Here he is when I was putting the new shelves in....
Shelves+018.jpg

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How about a trail cam....? They make them good enough now to read a license plate at 50 yards or so....? BTW the dog post was pretty much a joke...Sorry.

Brian

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I personally like Tide as my detergent ;)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Get a fake camera, motion sensor lights and a shotgun.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe just a couple signs that say hidden camera in use. They would see them easier than the fake cameras. Or even both

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The real ones would be nice though. You can sign online anywhere and see live what's going on and I think your even able to rewind.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I just installed security cameras...and not cheap ones TZ dome, that was the most expensive one. I can not see much at night just shadows, but the camera says they should see at night.
The thing that attracted me is that you can define an area and the camera has motion sensor that Can be connected to the recorder and activate a small buzzer. I am not happy.
But there is a camera on the internet that is cordless, has day night vision tilt and zoom, and you can insert a sim with internet, and have send alarm and pictures to your phone even if you are on holidays.Only USD75 with the most fantastic reviews and rated best camera in the world.
You can also install it yourself. Utube has videos how to do it. Only snug is that it is indoor but I am sure some protection from th elements can be improvised.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was thinking a nice poison ivy bonsai up front. The only problem would be that a serious horticulturalist wouldn't be fooled, but I doubt they are the ones doing the thievery.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perhaps check with your local cable provider. Here both Comcast and Verizon offer Security Services with cams bundled...

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can find a very similar system on ebay, and pay about 1/4 as much money...

Thanks. I'll check. I am after the actual performance though (not looks) and doubt something that cheap can deliver that. If it does, I'll jump on it. :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The police here have on several occasions.

Question is if they will give a plant thief enough attention. I honestly think most likely not.

They will not. You will have to spend several hours trying to describe to these guys how valuable they are and how trying to find them is worth the effort. You will have better luck doing it yourself----the trees are gone. Been there done that!! It is best to make the outside of your residence as inconspicuous as possible and don't advertise what you have. Odds are your neighbors will know what you have and whether or not they realize how valuable they are, can be a question. It also sends a signal if you have cameras, that there is something you are trying to protect. Some with evil intent may want to know what. On the other hand if you sit out on your porch and clean your guns that may send a message that you might not be someone to casually mess with, or that you are one of these survivalist nuts. Or you can buy a big, mean, loud, and dangerous dog, that even you won't go near.

Last edited:
Top Bottom