Seed collection timing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I know that seed collection should take place in late fall, but due to the rather warm weather im nervous that the seeds wont be mature yet. The wings are still pretty red colored, but some of the wings have started to dry out and turn a light brown color.

I have successfully germinated seeds from these 2 trees so i know they produce viable seeds.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I start collecting starting in October. By Halloween the seeds should be good to go. Also if you shake a branch and they fall off on their own they are ready.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Assume when you mention wings you are talking about maples.
With many trees, seed is actually viable well before it is fully ripe. Many species that normally have germination inhibitors will grow from unripe seed without treatment because the dormancy factors are usually the last thing to go into the seeds.
In my climate I normally wait for the leaves to drop before collecting maple seed but I know many who collect seed as soon as it reaches full size and those still grow well.
If the wings or seed have changed colour it will be fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I gathered several hundred seeds. Some were completely brown and others were mostly red. Ill be going back once a week or so to gather some more

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If the wings or seed have changed colour it will be fine

That's what I also think. Now I collect my maple seeds before leaf fall. I had dozens that germinated from a plain Acer palmatum last year, and I collected hundreds from various cultivars this year. I sent some to bonsai friends in France and the UK, and I still have hundreds for me.

I saw a post from someone asking for 'Orange Dream', unfortunately, sending them across the pond is a complete no-no....

Top Bottom