Seed Germination Theory and Practice

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have been doing some research on growing bonsai from seeds for a while now. In Brent Walston’s article How to Germinate Seed a book by Norman Deno, “Seed Germination Theory and Practice”, is recommended. I was pleased to find that the second edition as well as the first and second supplements are available for download from the USDA website. It is not exactly light reading but there is some very interesting information on seed propagation.

Seed Germination Theory and Practice

First Supplement to Seed Germination Theory and Practice

Second Supplement to Seed Germination Theory and Practice

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I actually bought a print copy of this from Deno ten years ago. Another good source of propagation information would be Dirr's "Manual of Woody Plant Propagation" which covers seed starting as well as cuttings for many common species. Although I've always found the instructions to be discouraging in some way - they specify medium. type of parent, time of year, rooting hormone concentration, bottom heat and a bunch of other things. It seemed like too much effort to get all these things right but maybe that's why I'm not good at cuttings.

At the beginning of a life of doing bonsai thinking about how to start seeds seems to be a good thing to do. More recently, I've found that with a yard full of material I have less time to contemplate what plants I should be propagating.

Still, I found the time to take a batch of shimpaku cuttings last month and also did a batch of Western Juniper to see if they would root. Similarly, I couldn't resist planting some acorns that I picked up this fall and I have a bag of Japanese Red Pine seeds that I'll be starting in March. Not sure where I might put all these new trees but I'll figure that out later.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I keep starting seed of different species every year, not so much thinking about seeing them as bonsai, just to get them up to the point where they would make potential bonsai, for someone else to finish. The nurseryman part of the bonsai hobby. I don't do it in quantity big enough to actually sell, just enough to pass around at my local bonsai club meetings.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seed germination is something I have found almost undeniable. I have found that most seeds layed on a moistened piece of paper towel in a saucer in warm sunlight will germinate and sprout in a few days to a week. Now apple seeds and walnuts and other nuts such a chestnut, hazelnut and hickory nut have variables such as they need to be chilled first, the apple seeds need removed from the fruit and dried then washed and chilled, but most seed germination is fairly straightforward process , if you think about it they manage to germinate on their own in nature .....

ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom