Seed germination tips

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Ok I have some Brazilian Rain tree seeds, Trident Maple and some Chinese Elm seeds. what would be the best/fastest way to Germinate them??

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
why no one reply? oh also what yall think of the new pot i got for my Fukein Tea? 100_4452.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The reason no one is answering your question is because you basically came on here and said "I didn't do my homework, can someone give me the answers?"

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here the Squirrels do a lot of planting and have very good success. I would like to find out their techniques and schedules ;)

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Well the Chinese elm said the same thing to the letter no matter where i looked i simply want to know if any one has had good germination with other methods then using anti fungal solution and planting in the right soil and keeping moister right. And i cant find ANYTHING on germination for the Rain tree seeds hence why i posted.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well the Chinese elm said the same thing to the letter no matter where i looked i simply want to know if any one has had good germination with other methods then using anti fungal solution and planting in the right soil and keeping moister right. And i cant find ANYTHING on germination for the Rain tree seeds hence why i posted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ger...0.57j60l3j65j62.3917&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I googled germinate rain tree seeds and see a slew of results. Not trying to pick on you here, but you'll catch more flies with honey.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aren't there instructions with the seeds.I would question the source if you don't have any.

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
the rain tree didnt come with any instructions, and the web search results are conflicting. one said freez the seeds which seems wired seeing how there is almost never any freezes in the tropics and one said to soak in 175 degree water for 2 min

the exact instructions are as fallows

Step 1
Clean the seed well of all fruit by scrubbing it lightly under lukewarm running water. Make sure that you remove all of the pulp.

Step 2
Fill a small bowl with hot water, at least 175 degrees F. Botanists with the Bishop Museum suggest using water volume five times the seed volume.

Step 3
Place the seed in the bowl of hot water, allow to sit for two minutes, stir, then remove them and place them in a bowl of lukewarm water, 86 to 104 degrees F, for 24 hours.

Step 4
Combine three parts potting soil, one part sand and one part compost. Fill the planting pot with the mixture and water it well, allowing the excess water to drain from the bottom of the pot.

Step 5
Plant the monkey pod seed 1/2 inch into the soil, cover lightly and place the pot in a warm area, such as on top of the refrigerator. Keep the soil moist but not soggy. Germination should occur within 10 days.

Step 6
Allow your seedling to grow to a height of 8 inches prior to planting it outdoors. This may take from three to five months.

Step 7
Plant the seedling in a location that receives sun all day. The monkey pod seedling will die in the shade. Pull any weeds around the seedling as soon as they appear, so that the seedling doesn't have to compete for sunlight and moisture.

this is the one that makes the most since to me how ever i wanted to know if any one had any tricks?

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I never grew monkey pod.I have sown many times temperate deciduous.Including elm and maple.The maple usually needs a warm stratification followed by a cold stratification.The elm would probably be fine with 60 days cold stratification.I am going from memory.The cold stratification is achieved by soaking some sterile peat with a fungicide water and squeezing it all out except for the practically last drop(do not leave it too wet,err on the side of dryer) then put in zip-lock bag and compress rolled up with the seed mixed in and put in cool salad crisper of fridge.Warm stratification is same except you put the bag somewhere room temp.I cannot remember the exact periods for maple,it was usually couple months warm then couple months cold or something before spring sow outside when it is safe to plant vegetable garden.Before stratification soak seeds for 24 hours in water and time the whole process to be planted when it is safe to plant vegetable garden in your area.I would highly recommend growing the seedlings in colanders.Like 9" inomata brand colanders.Some may disagree,but you get some wicked tap roots with elm seedlings in the ground and when you go to trim them in dirt they will probably get black spot disease from exposure the wound.Just pluck the seedlings out of your grow tray when first couple leaves stabilize then plant in perhaps 9" colanders.That is what I would do,personally.Good luck with your seedlings!

Last edited:
Top Bottom